good itinerary in tuscany/umbria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be flying into Rome next March, and taking trains and buses to most of our stops. We plan to go to Siena, Orvieto, Assisi, Gubbio, Urbino, Arezzo, Montepulciano, etc. We can probably make Siena a base for several nights and take day trips, same for Perugia or Orvieto. Since we only have 2 weeks, what's the best itinerary? Any suggestions for hotels?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:25 AM
DRJ

I'll offer two comments.

First, you will see more places much easier if you rent a car.

I always train from Rome to Orvieto to rent a car. The Hertz office is a half block from the train station. The pranzo at I Setti Consoli in Orvieto Alto (especially outdoors) is the reason I do this. Besides, who wants to drive in Rome?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Just this past August we did something very similar - a two week road trip starting in Venice and ending in Rome. Our hotel stays were in Venice, Ferrara, Urbino, Assisi, Perugia, and Rome, and it hard to say which I liked best! Each was so different, each so special! (Urbino may have the edge, though; it was simply amazing but bring you hiking boots. Tuscany may have hills, Le Marche has mountains! And they built their cities on them!)

But I agree with DRJ that a car is the way to go. Especially in Le Marche. While staying in Urbino, we drove out to see Urbania and Carpegna. On a bus we couldn't have stopped for picture opportunities as we passed Fermignano, or wonder what that city on the hill was and discover Peglio. We stayed almost exclusively on secondary roads and it couldn't have been easier - although the autostrada is not as scary as people would have you believe.

As for hotels we were 6 for 6 on our choices this year; loved them all.
Assisi - Hotel Umbra
Perugia - Hotel Fortuna
Urbino - Hotel Bonconte (but request not being put on the upper floor under the roof)
From a previous trip -
Siena - Santa Caterina

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

My recommendations:

Orvieto - Palazzo Piccolomini
Spello - Palazzo Bocci
Gubbio - Stay away from Relais Palazzo Ducale, lovely hotel, but church bells ring ALL night long EVERY 15 minutes!

Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful info. Taking a train to Orvieto and then renting a car sounds excellent, and it gives me a starting plan for making a sort of loop to and from Rome. We could then drop the car off at Siena at the end of the trip and take the train to Rome?? Also, thanks for hotel & food suggestions!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Hi again francegirl,

Depending on what loop you decide on, here are a couple of other easy rental car pick up/drops:

Foligno (near Assisi)Avis office right in the station, train to Rome about 1 hr 45 min

Chuisi (near Montepulciano) Hertz across the street from station - 1 hr 20 min to Rome

I've done Siena too, train station would require a taxi from rental office or hotel

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, there is an AutoEurope office a short cab ride from the train station in Spoleto.

We loved Gubbio and Urbino and thought they were well worth the drives. In the case of Gubbio, the road from Perguia is more scenic than the road from Foligno. I highly recommend Todi and Bevagna and the drives between Todi/Spello and Spoleto/Deruta.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:54 AM
DRJ

And if you get to Foligno, a block or so from the train station is Il Becco Felice, a restaurant featured in this month's (or last) Food and Wine mag. Salvatore is an event all by himself! A singular experience.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

You've all given valuable information, which I will definitely follow up on. I also appreciate knowing where the different car-rental pick-ups and drop offs are. By the way, for anyone going to Siena, Ristorante Da Divo is not to be missed - have been there several times and it doesn't disappoint.