Train or Bus to naples

Search

Train or Bus to naples

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train or Bus to naples

Leaving Rome on the 1st April to spend easter in Sorrento for 5 days. From what i can gather the bus from rome to Sorrento only leaves at 3pm (monday to Friday) so that is a waste of one day or catch a train early morning to Naples then take a bus or taxi (4 adult women) we have all travelled alot in Italy apart from round this area and will only have hand luggage with us any suggestions thanks
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 09:14 PM

Frequent trains from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale, taking a little over an hour, advance purchase on the Trenitalia web site. Then downstairs to the Circumvesuviana station and purchase tickets to Sorrento. Trains every half hour, again about an hour.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 12:46 AM

Easiest option is the CV (as mentioned above). Tickets are about 4.50 euro. Note there is nowhere to store luggage, these trains are crowded, no air-con and pretty much an above ground subway car but they'll get you to Sorrento without too much fuss or money.
An alternative is taxi (90 euro fixed fare) which will get you door to door or even a private transfer service who will do the same as a taxi but no haggling about the fixed fare (you have to specify this BEFORE you get in the cab and make sure the driver understands). Use www.worldtours.it - great transfer company I have used numerous times. There are others as this is a competitive marketplace. Just do a google search private transfers Napoli centrale to Sorrento.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 01:37 AM

Long-distance buses are generally a downmarket mode in Europe.

Just book a high-speed train Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale at www.trenitalia.com with super-economy advance-purchase fares from 19 euros.

On arrival in Naples, go downstairs and take the Circumvesuviana narrow-gauge electric railway to Sorrento, trains leave every 30 minutes, journey time 50-55 mins, fare around 4 euros, no reservation necessary or possible.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for all the help jen
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 02:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
another vote for the train and CV. very easy and quick - probably much quicker than a car, if the traffic that we encountered last year between Naples and Sorrento is anything to go by.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 05:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Long-distance buses are generally a downmarket mode in Europe.<<<

I don't find that to be true in Italy. Often these buses are just like tour buses if you had booked a vacation tour for a week or two. They are not like city buses. They have plush seats, luggage storage underneath and usually a bathroom. I've been on quite a few buses around Italy (including the Marozzi bus being talked about here) and that's always been the case on any buses I've used. This bus departs Rome Tiburtina, makes a pit stop at the Autogrill about halfway to Sorrento. It has more departures weekends/summer (max of 2 per day 7am departure added in summer).

In the days when the fast trains (ES) were slower (2+ hours Rome/Naples just a few short years ago) the Marozzi bus made sense. Travel time was similar by the time you factored in changing times in Naples and the Circumvesuviana (70-75 minutes). It also made sense for anyone with luggage issues (you had to carry your luggage up flights of stairs in Naples). Now, it only really makes sense if you don't want to schlep luggage (or the escalators in Naples aren't working). It's also still an option in summer for people going to Amalfi and Positano (it adds them on the route in summer) as it doesn't require all the changes if you take a train/bus/ferry.

The AV train Rome/Naples now takes 70 minutes.

>>>Note there is nowhere to store luggage, these trains are crowded, no air-con and pretty much an above ground subway car<<<

There are some old Circumvesuviana trains and some newer ones added a few years ago. Of course, you never know which will come along at the time you need to travel.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 10:33 AM

Be careful of your belonging on the CircumVesuivia trains - a recent post on Fodor's folks say someone tried unsuccessfully to steal their bags - this is one of the poorest parts of Europe and thefts and pickpockets may target affluent looking folks - watch your bags and your pockets and you'll be fine.

You could also go via ferry from Naples to Sorrento but then you have to get to the docks at least a mile or more, depending on which one, from the train station - but a much nicer ride and you can actually see Mt Vesuvius in all its glory from the water - the train skirts its flanks though starting from Naples you do get some distance views.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:21 PM

We would also be going from Rome to amalfi coast this summer. so followed all the comments with much interest.
And the train from Rome to Naples suggested above, and private taxi (since we would have luggage and a 4 year old child) from thereafter to positano sounds perfect.
I have a additional question to this: How to manage pompeii from positano before taking the train back to rome? A private taxi to pompeii that would wait 3/4 hours (time it might take us to explore pompeii) and then drop us to naples train station might be quite expensive.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 03:03 AM

>>>Be careful of your belonging on the CircumVesuivia trains - a recent post on Fodor's folks say someone tried unsuccessfully to steal their bags<<<

Sorry, but the person posting those anecdotes has been posting all kinds of scare stuff about Italy that "might" happen.

All kinds of people take the Circumvesuviana every day. Tourists, people commuting to work, kids going to school/sports, etc. Yes, a few people begging money hop on around Pompeii and Ercolano for a few stops, play music and attempt to get some donations. There might even be a pickpocket or two (I've never seen one when I've been on there). The biggest problem is getting a seat.

The set fee for a taxi Naples/Positano is 120€. Set fee for a taxi Naples/Pompeii with a two hour stop is 90€. Maybe that will give you an idea of how much you might expect. Page 2 of the pdf is English. This is for Naples taxis (Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano taxis might have other rates). Many drivers and other taxis services will stay close to the fixed prices in order to compete.

http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/.../IDPagina/6665
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Nevertheless the State Department several years ago had the CircumVesuviana train on its warning list of places to be careful as there were many thefts - not sure if it is now and yes I will repeat one of my several trips on the trip - locals were shooting up quite publically in the back row of the car - drug addicts are often theives to support their habit - this is one of the poorest areas in Italy and has a higher than usual drug addiction problem.

Just be wary that there are problems (ignore those who say there are none) and you will be safe - think there are no problems and you may be a target.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:21 AM

You should keep a hand (or some other part of your body) on your luggage at all times when travelling, whether to San Francisco or to Sorrento, and keep your passport, credit cards, etc., in a money-belt or other under-clothing stash. Before we learned this, we were pick-pocketed or purse-snatched in some of the finest cities in the world (Rome, Florence, Mexico City).
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:22 AM

P.S. I vote for the train from Rome to Naples and the Circumvesuviano to Sorrento.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:26 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...s_Campani.html

discussion of the CircumVesuviana train - from folks who used it - can be very very crowded - may have to stand a while and a hassle with large luggage and yes problems with theft. This is a dumpy IME commuter train like a metro though above ground - try to not go during rush hour and if have a lot of luggage consider alternative means of going.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 06:08 PM

No one on your link had a theft and most hadn't even been on the Circumvesuviana. They were just asking questions like here. Yes, like and subway or commuter train, there are no luxuries. Simply a way to get from point A to point B. I've ridden it dozens of times alone with no problems.

>>>yes I will repeat one of my several trips on the trip - locals were shooting up quite publically in the back row of the car - drug addicts are often theives to support their habit - this is one of the poorest areas in Italy and has a higher than usual drug addiction problem.<<<

You are the only person I've ever seen post about drugs on there and you've been posting this same comment for at least 10 years. If it were really a big problem, there would be others with saying it. Something that happened 10+ years ago might not apply today.

>>>This is a dumpy IME commuter train like a metro though above ground <<<

The newer trains didn't look dumpy when I rode them, but the seats are plastic like most subways.

>>>Nevertheless the State Department several years ago had the CircumVesuviana train on its warning list of places to be careful as there were many theft<<<

I wonder if the NYC, Chicago or Boston subways are listed. I've seen much more problems on those.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 11:00 PM

Drug addicts shooting up?

Lol - this is hilarious. Sorry PalenQ but really...? You saw this...when?

Most of my trips on the CV - and there have been too many to count - I've hopped on the back car as I board at Porta Nolana and the most annoying thing I've seen is the three piece band moving up and down busking as the train moved - with the guy and his double bass almost impaling it on someone's face. In fact that wasn't even annoying, it was ingenious. The accordian player who plies this route is terrible. If I hear his rendition of 'Volare' one more time I'll throw myself into Vesuvius.

I can say without a doubt that if addicts are using this train then they would have no room to 'shoot up' as it's wall to wall people - tourists, school kids, people shopping, families gossiping, teenagers heading for Naples' Via Toledo to shop. I can only imagine addicts (IF they are on the train) are on there late at night.

I would be more wary of Garibaldi station - most pockets are picked in the crush to board so stand back and let everyone get on first. Otherwise, board at Porta Nolana and you'll already have a seat when it pulls into Garibaldi so you can smugly watch everyone pile on.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Lol - this is hilarious. Sorry PalenQ but really...? You saw this...when?>

I saw it severa years ago with my own eyes - you can call me a liar - I don't care - I know what I saw and yes it unnerved me - not that it made me afraid but for the sad state those discheleved young guys were obviously in - it may have been a one of I don't know but in any case be very careful with personal belongings on this train.

They were in the last row of seats in the back of the car, which was not super crowded and this was mid-afternoon.

Again I don't care if you think I am lying - I know what I saw.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 08:19 AM

To Blueeyedcod-You sound like you know Naples. Porta Nolana is the best place on which to board the CV. You also are pretty sure to get a seat if you board there. What else do you know about Porta Nolana? Do you know about the nearby world's best pizza,(in my opinion), called Tutino's, which the locals call 'N Coppa e Mura, which means in Neopolitan, "On the Walls". I have many stories and great memories of Tutino's.
To PalenQ- I've ridden the CV many times. I must say it's pretty seedy, but I've never seen any thing which resembles what you claim.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 10:57 AM

Porta Nolana is the last stop on the Sorrento/Naples route. It is not convenient for most people to board there since many are changing trains at Garibaldi (Centrale). Here's the route stop list.

http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/defau...s/sorrento.jpg
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 12:15 PM

It's not convenient for boarding because most people don't stay in Naples - they flee for the bland 'safety' of Sorrento or they are on day trips.

If people choose to stay in Naples then it makes sense to board the CV at Porta Nolana.

PalenQ - As for the drug addicts 'some years ago' - you don't specify so that could mean 20 years ago or two. Who knows? In any case my point (which you clearly missed) is that it's not something anyone would *normally* encounter on this train. Addicts shooting up in public is like buying a walk up ticket for the Borghese Gallery - so rare it's not worth mentioning. Wonder if you told any staff about what you saw? That would possibly have been a humane thing to do if it concerned you so much.

Don't know about Tutino's but am always open to suggestions. My favourite pizza is a secret lol but it's in Santa Lucia so have a guess.. I'll happily investigate others - Tutino's will be checked out. I always go out of my way to visit Starita.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -