Train London to Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know if there is a train to Edinburgh from London or will I have to fly? How long does it take to get there to? I'm bad with distances.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Fastest train is from Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross with the Great North Eastern (GNER) and journey times are from four and a half hours to six hours, depending on which service you book.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Should have read your message clearly. However it's pretty much the same the other way aswell.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Should I get a train ticket now or wait until I get there? Is it worth the trip?
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM

The earlier you book the cheaper it is. If you turn up on the day you can end up paying the higher fare. I've booked on line before with Virgin but haven't with GNER but their website will help you out.
Now, the train journey is quite dull for the first 200 miles but from York onwards it gets very impressive. Highlights include Durham, where the train crosses the city over a large viaduct, then the part where it skirts the cliffs on the East Coast as you approach the Scottish border. And is Edinburgh worthwhile? One of the world's most beautiful cities. Just walk along Princes Street at night and look up at the floodlit Castle. Too much to go into here, but visit the Royal Mile , Holyrood House and the Castle. Do a Ghost tour, visit the Museum of Scotland and the Writer's Museum and if it's nice climb up Arthur's Seat!!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM

My fiance and I went to Edinburgh from London a year and a half ago and found it cheaper to fly. We booked the flight from US on internet. Edinburgh is amazing and well worth the trip. Plus it only took about 45 minutes from London.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:40 PM

We are doing this in reverse--Edinb to London & Easy Jet is way cheaper than train.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Jen,

We did that trip last year on the night train. It very reasonable, compared to flying, the train was great and you ended up right in the middle of town, easy walk to most places or just a short taxi ride. Go to www.seat61.com and you can see the train and there is a link to make reservations online. Have fun, Edinburgh is a wonderful town.

Greg
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Flying could well be the cheaper option. It just depends on which London airport you fly from and how much it will cost to get to/from your hotel from there. The train is perfectly easy, although if you are travelling on Sunday, definitely fly. This is when line work is done on the railways and the delays can make a 5 hour trip easily into an 8 hour one. Delays on British trains are legendary. The GNER service is a pretty good one, though. To check train times, go to www.gner.com