London to Edinburgh

Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

London to Edinburgh

Always gotten great advice on this site - I'll be in London by myself. I'm thinking of taking the train to Edinburgh from London for a day trip. The fare is 25 pounds round trip. Is it safe to travel alone on the train? I know nothing about Edinburgh yet - do they have public transportation and is it easy to get around?
Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:41 PM

My sister and I are going to Edinburgh by train from London for an overnighter. We are going by way of York and then coming home (London hotel) down the west side of England for a chance to see more scenery. The train drops you off at the Waverly station in Edinburgh. From there alot of the neat sites are walking distance.
(Edinburgh castle, Palace of the Holyrood, Royal Mile). They have a hop/on hop/off tour you can take as well. Good Luck!
Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to see York also - how do find the reservations to get a train that stops in York?
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:49 AM

blondiepop - the train is very very safe, no worries there at all. Very busy and quite civilised. Make sure you reserve a seat when you book.

However it really isn't a daytrip - the train takes 4.5 hours. If you're going to do it, do it overnight.

The train does normally stop at York - check nationalrail.co.uk for train times.

Edinburgh is a very compact city and it's easy to get about on foot to see tha major sites. Apart from that, you can use local buses or taxis.

If you're dead set on a day trip then you can fly - but you'd be travelling in the commuter rush hour (early morning) so you wouldn't get a very good price from Heathrow (the other London airports are really too far out to make flying much faster than the train).
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Pretty sure I'm going to Edinburgh. The train leaves Edinburgh at 1900 and gets back in London around midnight. The station is Kings Cross. How safe is that station that late, and will I be able to use the Tube to get back to my hotel or do I need to take a taxi (how much would that be-I'm staying at the Kensington Close). I can get a tour but it's $200 versus the $50 for the train ticket.
Feb 4th, 2004, 07:45 AM

The last tubes leave after midnight, except on Sunday nights when they finish about half an hour earlier. Have you actually got the train ticket? These cheap fares have limited availability and sell out quickly for popular times and dates. Standard fares allow you to catch any train, and to break your journey in, for example, York, but cost a lot more.
Feb 4th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Are you SURE you can't do an overnight?? That 4.5 hours is under ideal cirumstances, the train may very likely have delays making it more like 6 hour+. Alternately, you could get a same day RT on EasyJet (from Gatwick Airport) for about $75. Edinburgh is small enough that you can walk everywhere.
Feb 4th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Kings Cross is not the most glamorous destination - the area is pretty seedy in parts. Having said that, it's also very busy at all hours, so you shouldn't feel unsafe. I regularly pass through Kings Cross station at that hour on my own, it's used by many (single female) commuters. At that time of night, however, if you're on your own in an unfamiliar city in a slightly seedy part of town, I'd get a taxi to the hotel. It won't be cheap (perhaps £20) but would be money well spent for comfort, speed and peace of mind.

I still don't think it's a daytrip, however.
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Edinburgh could be done as a day trip - not ideal of course but just doable. But you cannot get off at York - if you want to break your journey at York you will have to buy a much more expensive ticket - and besides you couldn't really manage it the two as a day trip.

And do be prepared for delays as bardo mentions. That normal 4.5 hours could stretch to much longer depending on track problems, weather, and day you are traveling. It would be a shame to be on a delayed train on your way north and not have time to see anything in Edinburgh.

Another suggestion - I absolutely adore Edinburgh - but York is a more reasonable day trip from London.
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Please just fly, easier, quicker, and with the current state of Britain's railways you could end up arriving faster if you had decided to walk it.
Feb 4th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the good advice. Didn't know about the trains running late. I really can't spend the night because I am leaving the next morning for home. I could fly for the day, but what airlines fly there from London?Then there's the added expense of getting to and from the airport. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just forget about this. I had also avoided the airports because of having to wait in line to get through security. I just thought it would be a really neat trip to make.
Feb 4th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Just looked up EasyJet and it may be doable to go for one day. Also they have deals on express trains from London to those airports that serve EasyJet. Thanks again for all the help!