Search

Train Jaune

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Richard

Train Jaune

Will be in southern France 25-29 November, does le petit Train jaune operate then?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Ben Haines

I am sorry. The site http://www.ter-sncf.com/horaires/cgi-bin/newwebter.exe says that on those days there are busses.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Martine

You can easyly do this trip by car (when there is no snow). When you are in the region, make shure you visit Villefranche de Conflent and its &quot;fort Lib&eacute;ria &quot;(by the 1000 steps). Mont Louis and &quot;Le four solaire&quot;. It is for shure one of the most beautiful places of France (that is my opinion).

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Maribel

Richard,<BR>It does operate intermittently all year long but on my little printed schedule, it seems for most runs there's an operational gap between Nov. 3 and Nov.30. It's the &quot;Pyrenees metro&quot;, opened in 1910 to provide residents of these isolated villages a lifeline of communication, but on some days in the winter, as Ben has told you, the trains stop, and busses run instead. I think you'l miss it by 1 day (?). There *appears* to be an afternoon Villefranche-Mount Louis round trip starting Nov. 30. Is that correct, Ben, or am I not reading the very fine print in French correctly on this tiny schedule? <BR>We took it this summer but forgot ro read carefully the Sun. schedule and ended up with a longer than expected layover in Villefranche, so we just <BR>added Fort Liberia, a fantastic tapas lunch at the cute little &quot;La Casa de la Nine&quot; bistro in Villefranche and more time walking the ramparts. We found the dramatic trip from medieval walled Villefranche to the military garrison town of Mount Louis absolutely delightful, like a Disney ride, one of the highlights of our French Catalonia wanderings. So, as Martine says, the drive from Villefranche to Mount Louis is equally scenic, and I too would include (if it's not snowing) a trip up to Fort Liberia from Villefranche; you can catch a minibus, &quot;Navette Liberia&quot;, to take you up there from the train station.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Martine

Just like Maribel we took the (rickety)minibus to the fort Lib&eacute;ria, but we went down via the 1000 steps in the rock (a must!)