Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train Inns/Munich via Garmisch. extra time to wander - city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking the train from Innsbruck to Munich via Garmisch. I have about 4 hours to stop and wander a bit. Which town would be best? Garmisch or Mittenwald or another. We want a nice town center close to the train station. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Hi TravMimi,

I spent a month in an apartment in Mittenwald this past winter and fell in love with the village. It's so small, but it is loaded with cafes and shops -- and of course the scenery is spectacular. With four hours there, you may be able to take the cable car, either the Karwendelbahn or the Kranzberg (and have a bite at the Sankt Anton restaurant at the top). You can get an idea at www.mittenwald.de.

I also spent a few afternoonsin Garmisch during my time. It is larger than Mittenwald and much more extensive. I really liked Mittenwald more (but then smaller is better for me).

Good luck!

s
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

swandv - Thank you so much. That is exactly what we are looking for!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM

I like Mittenwald better. Maybe it's because we go there every time we are in Munich...just for the ice cream becker at the ice cream cafe right on the street from the train station to the pedestrian area.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

cable car and ice cream!!! We can add an extra hour.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM

TravMimi

You will love Mittenwald. It is a really pretty town with paintings on the buildings. And it looks even better with a tummy full of ice cream.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
Another vote for Mittenwald. In the pedestrian zone, stop by the Kleiner Kartoffelsack (a small cafe restaurant) and order a "Mohr im Hemd". My absolute favorite dessert! They also serve it at the cafe at the top of the Karwendelbahn. Am I going on too much about this!?

Paul
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

This sounds wonderful! Looks like Mittenwald is a winner. Is the pedestrian zone far from the train station? Is there a main square for people watching? We love cafes. I'll note all these suggestions.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM

The pedestrian center is very close to the train station. There is a restroom just across the street from the train station...if in need. It is usually clean. Then just walk down the main street, you'll pass a shop with wood carvings which are very nice and expensive. Walk straight on til you see the pedestrian area.

At the pedestrian area there are several outdoor cafes where you can people watch or just sit on one of many benches along the way.

Also on the walk down, there is a small grocery store on the right. You can get candy bars and Cokes cheap.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Hi,
As stated above, just follow the street across from the station. Look for the church tower, it's at one end of the pedestrian zone. Maybe 5 minutes or so to walk from the station to town.

Paul
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

OK, we have decided to stop in Mittenwald. Train question. No matter what site I use to schedule trains, I'm offered a (fastest) connection time in Innsbruck of 5 mins!!! Are trains running this well? Are they THAT ontime and can I run from platform 6 to platform 2 THAT fast? I know I can wait for the next train and we can wander Innsbruck for 2.5 hours but I was just curious.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Hi again,
Sorry, I can't help with your last question, but if Austria is anything like my experiences with trains in Switzerland, they are that on time. If you don't get any help, I'd suggest starting a new thread with this question.

Paul
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM

Hi TravMimi,

For my month in Mittenwald, I didn't have a car and used the trains extensively.

Five minutes should be plenty of time to make your connection -- so long as you can carry your luggage in one trip. The station in Innsbruck is not huge -- you'll likely be stepping off your train, going downstairs and down a tunnel, then going upstairs again. Should take you just a minute or so.

You should be getting the track number for each train from your train site, so you can tell just how far apart the tracks will be. You may find that you only have to step across the platform.

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your help. We will make plans based on that quick connection, and if worse comes to worst, we will just have to wander around Innsbruck a bit and catch the next train. This will be our last day of a long vacation (8 people 3 of which are kids)We decided to make it a long beautiful train day to the Kempinski Hotel at Munich airport, getting up very early. I believe now that we would have made a mistake stopping off in Garmisch instead of Mittenwald. Thank you all again.