Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need small town or comfortable place in larger town less than 2 hrs from Munich by train for immediate retreat

Need small town or comfortable place in larger town less than 2 hrs from Munich by train for immediate retreat

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My long working-conference trip has gotten me to Munich where it is cold, rainy, and all but one of the people I was to meet with are sick. So after a short meeting tomorrow (Thursday), I am free until I catch a flight from MUC Saturday evening.

I've been to Munich before and seen the sights. I prefer small towns, the mountains, walking, etc. but it is raining so can't count on any views or lovely walks. I do have raingear, so can hike about OK.

I feel the need to leave Munich tomorrow for 2 nights somewhere quiet, pretty, quaint to relax and recharge before on to Asia on Saturday.

Any suggestions? I was in Garmisch 30 years ago and it is accessible by train. Does it fit the bill? I can get to Salzburg, which sounds interesting, but where can I find the quiet place there? Somewhere else you would suggest? I will have to decide quickly.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Hi Kay2,

Mittenwald!!

I spent a month there last winter and couldn't have loved it more: a sweet pedestrian center lined with cafes and shops, and mountains all around. I spent my days hiking the mountains and getting to the few lakes in the area.

Mittenwald is about 30 minutes farther by train.

www.mittenwald.de

Good luck!

s
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM

From Munich, Mittenwald is 30 minutes beyond Garmisch -- in case you couldn't read my mind!

s
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Another nice little spot, reached by train from Munich in less than two hours, is Oberau, which offers
inviting day trips to Garmisch, to Linderhof castle and to Oberammergau, and a half-day visit to the nearby Ettal monastery.

For mountain hikers the nearby Ettaler Sattel is worth a visit.

Harzer
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Look at Landshut:

www.landshut.de
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Kay2,
Another vote for Mittenwald here! Sounds like this is exactly what your looking for. Very easy 5 min. walk from the station to the pedestrian zone. If you go, for a sweet treat... try a "Mohr im Hemd" at the Kleiner Kartoffelsack in the pesestrian zone. Also good for lunch or dinner. A very nice place for dinner, yet reasonable, is Da Mamma Lucia (Untermarkt 22). Excellent!
www.mammalucia.de

Paul

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

OK. I had seen Mittenwald mentioned somewhere, so I will quickly check it out online after breakfast along with Oberau and Landshut . Any specific hotel-guesthouse recommendations?
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM

Hi-
I am living in Mittenwald and can definately recommend it as a great place to get away for a few days. The trains from Munich are direct, run hourly, and you'll be here in just under 2 hours. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station to the center of town, which is where I'd stay. There are lots of guesthouses - and they are (in my experience) consistently clean and well run. You could truly show up at the tourist office and get a room. If you want to call ahead, I'd suggest the Alpenrose - a family run hotel on the main pedestrian street in town. They serve a big breakfast, offer a good deal on half pension for a big Bavarian dinner, and have an english speaking person around most all the time. You can wander the town and watch the wood carvers, walk through the violin museum, or enjoy any of the tons of walking trails. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:58 AM
ira

Hi Kay,

I can highly recommend
ww.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home in Salzburg.

Very nice people, lovely property on the edge of town. Close to a bus that will get you downtown in about 12 min.

Buy the Salzburg Card www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_283.htm

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Mittenwald is great! A small town with hiking trails right on the outskirts and nice people.

I caught the train direct and crossed my fingers for no strike. I walked into the Post Hotel and got a room that was tiny but clean and noisy from those church bells all night. I saw lots of places I could have easily found a room from the board outside the tourist bureau (I like the lights that show where each place is located).

I just chilled out in the lobby, strolling around town, then caught the concert in the park. Next day I took the chairlift up and walked all around and down the hill to two lakes, then back into town. Just beautiful even with rain. I found out my flight out of Munich was cancelled, so I spent several hours rebooking and planning transport, so missed taking the cable car up the other side of town. Next time!

Thanks for the help. I really needed the nature recharge.

After ex
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Hi Kay2,

So glad you enjoyed it! I have such great memories of my winter there! A great place I hope to return to again and again, taking advantage of one of the many inexpensive "zimmers."

Thanks for the update!

s
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Kay2,
Glad to hear you liked Mittenwald and thanks for posting. Mittenwald is one of our favorite places.

Paul