Train help needed Germany to CDG

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We have made the decision to enjoy a last day in Germany and catch a train from Oberwesel to Charles de Gaulle on the day of our flight home. We would like to arrive at the airport by 5.30 pm (Emirates flight leaves at 9.50 pm) and we will take insurance in case of delays causing us to miss the plane. We need help from the train experts on the best options for train combinations. Would you advise the combination that requires walking between Paris Est and Paris Nord or rather catch the train to Strasbourgh or Brussels and then catch TGV option? Our day of travel is a Saturday. We will be travelling light all round Europe but may have 30kg each to take back due to our last stop where we are picking up business materials. I am thinking that a combination without walking would be best. We do have the option of a free car pick up in Paris from a hotel near the train station (thanks to Qantas Platinum Frequent Flier) but this may make it all too complicated. We are used to travel by train so do not have issues with finding platforms, etc. Basically need to choose option with the least risk of delays and hopefully one that does not require a dawn departure from Oberwesel! Thank you for your help.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 03:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>ast day in Germany and catch a train from Oberwesel to Charles de Gaulle on the day of our flight home.<<

Very very bad idea IMO. It is a 4.5 - 5 hour journey to Paris Est w/ one or two changes, or a 5.5 hour trip to Nord w/ 2 changes and you are schlepping a lot of luggage. You don't want to be traveling hundreds of miles to get to your departure airport.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rome2rio.com does a good job of pointing out various options. Their recommended train itinerary switches at Koblenz & Koln, then at Brussels Midi for a train to CDG.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 04:33 PM

This is a big risk - esp since you are traveling with substantial luggage.

The best option seems to take almost 8 hours with a couple of changes - but does not get you to CDG until about 5 pm - meaning you have NO window if there are any problems or delays.

There is no way I would attempt this - but I am risk averse. Are you really OK if you miss the flight and have to return the next day (assuming there is room on that flight).
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 04:38 PM

But that is a 7+ hour journey w/ three changes . . . and w/ 70 lbs of luggage.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 04:39 PM

oops - didn't see nyt's post. my response was re the Koblenz, Koln, Brussels route . . .
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Hello, Janis thank you for your thoughtful advice and it is a lot of luggage. We have carefully weighed it all up and are fine with our decision. We will be departing Europe after 6 weeks leisurely travel and our last stop has to be Oberwesel and our flight has to be out of Paris. We are blessed with first class tickets all the way home and we love trains so just need help with the best connections. Luckily it is the only time we are carrying a lot of luggage and nearer the time if it looks too much we can post it home.

Thank you Clark will check it out. It means we don't have to do the Paris station walk/change so it looks good for us. Wasn't sure if it was best to go through Strasbourgh or Brussels.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Yes we are fortunate that missing the flight won't be a big deal and we are happy to wait till they can get us on the next flight. After the comments above re the luggage it is likely we will ship home the extra (my preference!!). We only travel with 10kg each in 2 small suitcases.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM

Well heck -- if you don't mind missing the flight, go for it.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Hello, After thinking all day (in-between watching the World Rugby Cup!) I have been wondering if it would be better to catch a flight from Frankfurt to Paris. There is a 10am flight on HOP Air (Air France). Any thoughts on this gratefully received.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 11:22 PM

>>I have been wondering if it would be better to catch a flight from Frankfurt to Paris. <<

IMO absolutely yes . . .
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 05:51 AM

If the trains would normally get you there at 5, I don't think that is super risky myself. As you said, if the really off chance happened and the trains were late or whatever, you planned on insurance. I would not walk between gare du Nord and gare de l'est, no way, with all that freight. I would if I were traveling with a 22" rollaboard and maybe one small totebag, as it is the easiest.

If you did train, I'd also do the change at Koblenz, then Koln. From there, if you can go to Brussels then to CDG, that sounds good, you can also go right to Paris Nord from Koln and take the RER to the airport from there. That wold get you that at 4:45. Not sure which is better, actually, both involve two changes. I suppose it might be easier to change trains at Brussels than to go from train to RER at Nord.

I've flown Hop, it's a good airline, I would do that instead for sure, if it's not super expensive by comparison. It is a bit high on Saturdays at times if you don't buy far in advance, if you do, it's ok. the flight seems to be at 10:25? That still means you have to get up at dawn in order to get the train to Frankfurt airport and be there an hour in advance minimum, I'd aim for 1:30 especially with all the baggage to check.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 06:35 AM

I would say yes but we got the train strike on our travel date. Our landlord did not have anyone coming into the apartment that day so we stayed another night in Paris but glad we did not have a flight to catch leaving Germany that day.

Can you even predict these strikes?
I love the high speed trains and there were plenty of big luggage on them so would not worry about that. We had the train from Augsburg to Paris est. 10 to 15 min walk or one metro stop to Nord.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 02:35 PM

I wouldn't worry about a strike on the train any more than I would on Air France, they both strike.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for all the great advice. I managed to get tickets on HOP for 69 Euro each (incl 23 kg luggage amazing). I booked the midday flight. This means we have the option to decide that week if we want to train or fly and covers off at least one potential strike. 140 Euros seemed a worthwhile investment. Appreciate all the help.