Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Verona to Venice and then back again - any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Stella

Hi everyone - My husband and I are coming from the Lake District and are stopping in Verona for the day and overnight. We are leaving our rental car in Verona and plan to take the train into Venice (to advoid the hassels and costs). Have you done this train trip ? I would appreciate your advice as to when to leave and did you find the train trip convenient. Also, where and when did you buy your tickest? Thanks so much. S

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
xxx

Easy peasy. Just bought the ticket at the train station when we got there and caught the next train to Venice.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Rex

It's a perfectly sound idea - - but I would urge you to spend NO LESS than one overnight in Venice - - and then, as a corollary, you might find it advantageous (since it is your goal to avoid excessive costs) to actually turn in the car at Verona, and re-rent upon your return. All the major car rental companies are right at the train station in Verona. You'll do fine purchasing your tickets right there at the train station. 20 minutes before, or, 2, 4, 24 or 48 hours before.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Janice

They're right - it's a real easy trip, and you definitely want to spend a night in Venice. Dusk and/or dawn in Venice are prime time.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:52 PM
nicole

Very easy and if you get the one with the least amount of stops I think I remember it only taking about 45-60 minutes. <BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Stella

Thanks so much everyone for replying - you have relieved some stress! Taking the train vs driving and parking in Venice seems to be the thing to do. We are so lucky our Hotel in Verona will allow us to leave our car there! Tanks for taking the time to respond! S.