Train from Venice

Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Venice

Hi, I am desperately in need of walking directions from the cruise port (Oceania Cruise lines) in Venice Italy to the Santa Lucia train station. I will be traveling alone and will have heavy luggage. I already have my train reservations and had to leave from Santa Lucia instead of the other station because I am traveling to Austria and that was the only option I was given for a station. I am not afraid of walking, but I understand there is a rather high and difficult bridge you must climb the stairs up and over and down again. I need to know exactly how to get to the station, even if i do have to use that bridge. Thank you so much!!
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:31 PM

YOu just need to get to Piazzale Roma, and you will find a big bridge right in front of you, Ponte di Calatrava, and walk straight once you get down of it for about 2 mins to Santa Lucia.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:15 PM

There are many write ups on how to travel between the cruise port(s) to the Santa Lucia station. Here are just two with pictures.

https://www.italylogue.com/planning-...get-there.html

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...-terminals.htm

If you are traveling on Oceania Cruise, the water taxi from the cruise port to Santa Lucia station may be well within your budget.

I don't know where in Austria you are heading to. A quick look at www.bahn.com shows trains to Innsbruck or Salzburg, for example, show all the trains starting from Venezia Santa Lucia also stop at Mestre. Some trains only stop at Mestre. If this was possible, you can just take a land taxi from the cruise port to the Mestre station.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since all trains from Venice S.L. will pass through Venice Mestre I have a hard time believing they won't stop there.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 04:38 AM

Can't you take the People Mover from Maritima to Piazzale Roma?

Then over the Calatrava Bridge to Santa Lucia Station.

Heavy luggage is foolhardy in Venice.

Thin
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 04:56 AM

Even if your ticket is from S. Lucia station, you should be able to board the train at Mestre.

You can find your train on this website:

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

When you see the train on the schedule, look in the "Train" column, and click on the little "i" next to your train. It will show you all the stops the train makes.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:51 AM

Can't you take the People Mover from Maritima to Piazzale Roma?

Yes - then cross the bridge as Von Snout says! So simple.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ople-mover.htm
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 06:26 AM

The Calatrava bridge is not so easy with heavy luggage. It is also not 2 minutes to get from Piazzale Roma to Santa Lucia. More like 10 minutes and that is sans luggage.

There are porters who will take your luggage and you can follow behind. Or pay for a one way ticket on the vaporetto, and take it one stop from Piazzale Roma to Ferrovia. Just make sure to get on going the right direction.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Re: bridge

You can preview the bridge to see what you are up against:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4391...2!8i6656?hl=en

I don't know the current fate of the problem plagued gondola along the bridge. http://www.ilgiornale.it/news/lovovi...i-1403543.html
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 08:25 AM
bvh

rialtogrl +1.

Not sure why you'd pay any attention to Venice-Mestre station, which is inland. Venice has only one station, and it's the one that you need: Santa Lucia.

IME, there are official porters and then there are street hustlers. In Venice, it has been difficult to tell the difference. If you can get an official porter to help you, that's what I would do. They respond well to the traveler who tips.

A private water taxi directly to the train station dock is the easiest and most expensive option.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 09:24 AM

Bvh those porters are not generally hustlers. They are hard working immigrants and they will not rob you. Just ask the price and if it's not in line, move on. They need and want the jobs. I am not sure there are any official porters, the guys I see have a badge but who knows where that is issued. I agree it is nice to give something extra, they work their you know whats off.

For a single person, a vaporetto ticket is the cheapest way to get across without hauling anything over a bridge. It is actually more difficult to get in and out of a water taxi for that short of a journey.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 09:46 AM
bvh

I don't have a problem with hard working anyone. If it isn't the case, then shame on Venice for not employing official porters with a badge that consumers can trust and verify. I'm not accusing anyone of theft, but why can't this important service business be sanctioned by the city? Why must consumers be faced with baggage handlers who aren't official and answer to no one? Given the amount of tourist dollars that come into Venice, this would be appalling, if it were true.

"It is actually more difficult to get in and out of a water taxi"

I'm old and arthritic. Not a problem yet. Plus, the boat drivers always help with my luggage. I never need to touch it. That alone is worth the cost of the ride.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 10:00 AM

I will be honest... I do not know who issues those badges. Maybe it is by the city. It doesn't matter in the end because people are suspicious no matter what. (Not saying you are.)

i am glad the water taxis work out well for you. Getting on and off the vaporetto can be a pain and walking over a bridge can too. We all have our favorite ways of getting it done!
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone for the replies, and to greg, thanks for giving me a picture of the bridge! It's not like I thought it would be. I am older but not too old to do that bridge! To others who said I should change stations, when I made my reservations they would only provide the Santa Lucia option, I could not book going to Austria leaving from Mestre even though my train does indeed go through there. I don't really have a choice in having a heavier suitcase, I will be traveling for a bit with no way to do laundry. I should be able to work with all this information! Thank you again!!
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's bizarre. Trenitalia seems perfectly willing to sell me tickets to Austria (Vienna or Innsbruck) from either station. What company did you use to book the train?

There's always the bathroom sink for laundry. My clothes don't travel if they don't drip dry.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:54 PM

What is bizarre is telling someone to take a taxi to Mestre to get the train.

I don't know, maybe I am an intrepid traveller, but I have been hauling luggage from Piazzale Roma (from the #5 bus) and up the Lista di Spagna for years.

Thin
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. Once I walk over that bridge do I turn right or left for the train station and are there signs?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 12:30 PM

No one suggested she change stations. She seemed to indicate she'd rather leave from Mestre but couldn't get tickets from there.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 12:37 PM

Santa Lucia Station will be on your right after you cross the Calatrava Bridge. You should pass a Muji Shop. The Grand Canal and the Dome of San Simeon Piccolo is opposite.

You can't miss it.

And I don't agree it is a 10-minute walk. Maybe 5.

Thin
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 10:25 PM

>>> Once I walk over that bridge do I turn right or left for the train station and are there signs?

I think it would help you to be able to read the map to answer many of your questions.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4402...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

See the bridge Ponte della Costituzione, middle bottom? If you keep walking along the Grand Canal do you see Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia?

Here is how it looks from the bridge https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4389...2!8i6656?hl=en

Practically everyone you see going your way here are heading to the Santa Lucia station.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information