Train from Rome FCO Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I've seen some posts about how easy it is to catch to train from FCO to the Termini train station, but I was wondering how easy it is with a large piece of rolling luggage? Is it easy to store your luggage on the train without having to lift it into an overhead?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:33 PM

It's easy as long as you can roll your suitcase a fair distance from baggage claim to the train station. No stairs required.

You won't have to put your suitcase in an overhead bin on the train, but you will have to get it ON the train which means up a few steps from the platform. There is usually some luggage space at the end of the train car. If you don't see it, check the other end of the car. All luggage spaces are not equal.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:38 PM
sjk

And if all else fail, a number of people just set it on the seat next to them.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:39 PM
cpi

The overhead bin on this train is fairly small. We had a large rolling duffle bag and I was trying to hoist it up, and failing when an Italian woman in a business suit got up and pointed out there is a large gap that is in between the seats that face opposite directions that a large bag can slid into. Ohterwise you can also put it on an empty seat.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM
cpi

The overhead bin on this train is fairly small. We had a large rolling duffle bag and I was trying to hoist it up, and failing when an Italian woman in a business suit got up and pointed out there is a large gap that is in between the seats that face opposite directions that a large bag can slid into. Otherwise you can also put it on an empty seat.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I just posted this note, and already I have just the answers I need. Thank you all for your quick responses!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM
GAC

I keep the luggage on the floor next to me (but NEVER blocking the aisle). Ticket agents have not yet complained, particularly if the luggage looks very heavy. Light luggage can be set on the overhead rack. Or, you can wedge large luggage between the seat rows, or even place small items on an empty seat next to you.

The nonstop train runs every 30 minutes, takes 32 minutes to reach Termini Station, and costs 9.50 Euros one way. You can buy the ticket at the station ticket window, and you must punch it in the yellow machine by the rail track prior to boarding. Once arrived at Termini, there is a very long walk (in excess of 800 yards) to the main transit hall.

If you're continuing on from Termini to other Italian destinations, I would recommend also purchasing the onward ticket at the Airport Train Station Ticket Counter.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM

The FCO airport to Termini service is called the "Leonardo Express" and yes, it is very easy. It costs 8,80 euros per adult (children free 4 and under) and runs every 30 minutes to/from tracks 26 & 27 in Termini directly into the lower level of FCO (Area C I believe). I had a large suitcase, a stroller and toddler and was doing it all myself with no help! If I can do it, you can too! Rather than hoisting the suitcase up in the overhead storage, I kept it on the ground next to me, adjacent to my knees/feet. There was never any problem. My little one sat in the seat next to me and helped "watch" it too! In the Termini station, please note that tracks 26 & 27 are in back and behind the regular train tracks, so there is a bit of a walk to the front entrance.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:12 AM
GAC

The one way fare is now Euro 9.50.