Train from Munich to Prague

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Munich to Prague

Hi, my friend and I are going to Prague from Munich and need some help on on train travel. I have been looking at www.bahn.de and can't seem to get prices, I have no idea what I am doing wrong. We are thinking about taking a night train, have any of you done this or do you have any ideas? Thanks, Felissa
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:26 PM

It is not your fault or anything you did wrong. As far as I have ever been able to discover, the site will not give international prices. If you cross a border, it clams up.<BR>There are some exceptions. For example, going from Munich to Salzburg is actually a DB train ride all the way.<BR>But that doesn't help you at all.<BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:30 PM

The ricksteves site has a time/cost map. Check night train costs at euraide.de.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Two points here. Euraid charges a $35 fee for sending you the tickets.<BR>Horse feathers.<BR>The Rick Steves site links you into the Deutsche Bahn website, which is where we started initially. <BR><BR>So, the information is not much help.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, have any of you ever done this trip? Or taken night trains? Should we take a night train or just take a day train? Can we just book it when we get to Munich or do we need to book it in advance? Thanks, Felissa
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:29 PM

On railEurope your trip costs<BR>$89 2nd class <BR><BR>http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm<BR><BR>Don't know if this is the cheapest place on on the web - or if buying at the station is cheaper
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:22 AM

Hi, the ride is 7 or 8 hours long so you are better off taking the overnight train. You will arrive in Prague at about 8 a.m. The only downside that I found was that many hotels are not willing to accomodate you early so you are left wandering the streets till check in time. <BR><BR>When I did this, I booked my train when I arrived in Munich--about a day and a half before my departure to Prague.<BR><BR>I took a day train to go back from Prague to Munich. But you know what? If I had to do it over, I'd take a night train again. I think I thought I'd catch some scenery on the way back. Oh, well.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:06 AM

To expand on my previous post:<BR><BR>I just checked the ricksteves site. There used to be a more complete time/cost map for estimating, now there is this:<BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/howrailworks.htm<BR><BR>I suspect his railpass guide has the more complete chart, it can be downloaded from his site.<BR><BR>The euraide site is the only place I've found on the web with prices for sleepers and couchettes. Yes, there is a charge if you buy from them, but I don't know another way to find out the cost if you wait till you get to Europe. It also can be cheaper than buying from raileurope, depending on you exact situation.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 06:23 AM

I did the night train from munich to prague twice last year. Under the old Bahn Card system (half-price on trains in Germany, perhaps a small discount outside of germany), we paid a bit over 100 Euro round trip per person and this includes a second class couchette. I would NOT do this trip without some sort of sleeper, because it is a long ride and trains are old and not particularly comfortable.<BR><BR>With the new Bahn Card pricing system, (30 euro up-front and 10-40% discount for travel in Germany, depending on how far in advance you travel), I don't know how much this will cost, but likely more than 110 Euro r/t. You can, of course, by a one-way ticket, which will be exactly half the cost.<BR>Without a Bahncard purchase, you'd be paying closer to 180-200 Euro, I fear.<BR><BR>www.bahn.de never gives full prices for international train travel.