Munich Prague itinerary - help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I already posted this in the Europe general interest forum, but then thought it would be better to post in the country-specific forums - apologies for the duplication.

My husband and I will be in Munich in early April. He has a 2-day business trip. I'm thinking that we'd spend 3 non-business days in Munich, including our arrival day. I'm considering an additional day-trip to Salzburg, though it could be an overnight instead if there's a train to Prague from Salzburg. We're planning on taking the train to Prague, but I don't know if it's better/possible to take it from Salzburg or from Munich. If leaving from Munich, can one get off for a few hours to explore another town - though we will have luggage so perhaps not a good idea. Are there overnight trains to Prague and if so, will we regret missing the scenery by riding in the night. I'm thinking 2 full days in Prague plus our arrival day, though I'm not sure what time the train would arrive.

I know this doesn't give us very long. I'm working on the details for each place. But for now, does it seems reasonable to have 2+ days in Munich, 1 day-trip to Salzburg, and 2 days in Prague, plus our train travel day? I'd have an additional day to explore in Munich on my own. Please share ideas on sights to see. Thanks in advance for your help. This forum is a great source.

Thanks,
Barbara
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Topping this for you.

Train to Salzburg takes 1.5 hours; fastest train to Prague from Munich takes 6 hours; you can rail from Salzburg to Prague without backtracking through Munich.

There is a night train Munich-Prague ( I personally don't think you'll miss any spectacular scenerey.

Check schedules at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Only budegt flight Munich to Prague appears to be run by a charter airline.

In Munich, among other things, the Schloss Nymphenburg, the area around the Marienplatz, the Residenze; am sure others will have additional recs
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Do you know what the cost of the overnight train to Prague from Munich is?..or from Prague to Frankfurt? I was trying to use some online sights and was having trouble determining cost. I would want 1st class. There were some other choices like ICE,etc. and I do not know what those mean. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Amygvan1:

We have tickets booked on the night train from Prague to Munich on April 5, 1st class sleeper. The price for the two of us is 217.20 euro. We booked at www.bahn.de, which has an English translation.

"ICE" refers to a particular type of train, generally a fast train. In Italy, IC trains are inter-city trains. So check out the lingo before you book.

You can't book a sleeper more than 60 days out, so that might be why you're having trouble finding price info.

Barb_fish: As for missing the scenery with a night train on the Prague-Munich route, I can't say because I haven't done it yet. But I posted the same question several weeks ago and several posters said we won't be missing all that much and that they'd take the night train, given a choice.

Have fun everyone!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:19 AM

ICE=InterCityExpress...an articulated type of train set which runs, on many routes, at very high speeds (up to 180 MPH or so). These are the fastest trains in Germany.

I'll repeat it again..you will NOT miss any spectacular scenery on the route Munich-Prague.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:18 AM

FYI, barb. There is no country-specific forum. All the postings end up in the general europe forum. Posting by country just lets people find all the posts for one country more easily. So you now have two of the same posting in the general europe forum.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Nachtzugreise, the German Rail subsidiary that runs night trains like the one from Munich to Prague makes no distinction between 1st and 2nd class with respect to accommodations. There are "economy" compartments with a wash basin, and "deluxe" compartments with a toilet and shower, but I think the Prague/Munich train has only economy. When getting passholder "reservations" with a rail pass, a second class pass can be used for either the economy or deluxe compartments for more than one person, but a single of either variety requires a first class pass.

For the train from Munich to Prague, you can't find prices because no one sells the tickets online. Bahn.de shows the price for a seat, but for sleepers you have to just order them and take the price they give you (or you can call them in Germany). Nachtzug Reise's website shows the train but gives you a (different) number to call in Germany to order tickets.

If Nachtzug Reise will sell them over the phone, you should be able to get non-refundable SparNight economy double tickets for €69 per person.