Train From Milan to Rome

Mar 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Train From Milan to Rome

Hello! We are visiting Italy for the first time in couple weeks. We need to get from Milan where we fly into down to Rome. Is the best way by train? How long does it take to get from the Milan airport to the train station and is a taxi cab the best way. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer. Thanks.
Mar 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Airport bus to Centrale station in Milan is probably about as quick as cab and a whole lot cheaper - leave very often and direct to train station for you

Eurostar train to Rome, which takes 4.5 hours - this is the fancy high-speed train and the only train type you should consider as other slower trains can take forever.

You should buy your Eurostar train tickets at Malpensa's airport rail desk, you will get seat reservations with the tickets. Allow lots of time for the bus and to find the train at Milano Centrale, one of the largest most hectic stations in Europe.

Ulitimately you'll have no problem but leave leisurely time - airport is a long way out - why taxis may cost a lot so i'd do the airport buses.

You could possibly save money by buying your tickets at www.trenitalia.com, the Italian railways web site which has online specials that often sell out when they come on, i think 60 days in advance. But since you're plane could be late i'd wait until you get out of Customs and head to the rail desk.

But trains in Italy are quite cheap - you can find fares on www.trenitalia.com. Best to buy your ticket at the airport rather than Milano Centrale, though the automatic ticketing machines there are idiot-proof and in English to walk you thru it. otherwise you could stand a long time in line at a ticket window.

Put any angst to rest you'll have no problems getting on a train i expect.
Mar 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ. That is very helpful. Do you know how often trains from Milan go to Rome? The other question I had was I was on the trentilia website and as I was looking I was confused with what time of fare I would need. A standard? I am 24 as well as my husband looking to travel as cheaply as possible? Thanks.
Mar 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
ira

Hi LA,
Good advice from PQ

Mar 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
ira

Hi LA,

You want the "standard" fare.
Mar 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Eurostar (ES) trains leave Milano Centrale every hour on the hour - some hours there are more than one.

Ira - what is the difference between Standard and Flexi in this conttext - standard only good on that train, flexi changeable?

thanks
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM

??? anyone Standard vs flexi in trenitalia?

Search this Thread