Help me pack for 3 weeks

Search

Help me pack for 3 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pack for 3 weeks

Hi - I could really use some advice on what to bring to Switzerland and Paris in May.

First of all - I need to buy a new suitcase. Rather, my husband and I both need to. We were thinking a 26" bag each - we plan on checking. In addition to this, what other kind of bag should I bring? We'll need some kind of small bag to bring as a carry-on for the plane.

Secondly - I plan on buying a travel wardrobe. I was going to buy some matte jersey separates (like capris and a cardigan, then bring various t-shirts to wear with it) and also need to buy a pair of walking shoes and another pair of sandals but ones that are comfortable for walking too.

Knowing that mid-May in Switzerland will probably still be quite cool, what kind of apparel do you suggest for the BO region? We plan on doing some light hiking but will only be there for 3 days so this portion of the trip is more of "if we have clothes that will be appropriate for some light hiking, we will wear them" but we don't necessarily want to bring special stuff with in order to hike.
The rest of the trip will be spent in Paris/Provence, where I hope it will at least be in the low-mid 60s by that point.

Thirdly - we plan on buying a new, NICE digital camera. An SLR of soem sort, but we haven't figured out which one yet. Hubby had planned on carrying a backpack every day, in which he would put the camera and our other valuables, but I worry about theft, so I told him to scratch the backpack idea. But I told my husband I don't plan on using a purse on this trip, just my cross-body money belt (I didn't carry one my last time in Europe and got along fine) so now he's thinking, if he doesn't bring his backpack, how will we carry the camera??

Thanks for any and all advice you have coming my way.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM

< Help me pack for 3 weeks >

Pack for one week and wash.

And ensure your clothes match so you can mix & match
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

The good thing is for the 2nd week of the trip, while we are in Paris, we will have a washer/dryer in our apartment.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM

I honestly don't think you will need a pair of sandals. It will still be rather chilly in Paris in May. Unless it is late May. But I would definitely take a rain coat and good walking shoes that will not get ruined int he rain.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
ira

Hi J,

>We were thinking a 26" bag each ....<

For 3 weeks, my Lady Wife and I have never needed more than 1 26" bag and 2 carryons.

>we will have a washer/dryer in our apartment.<

In which case, you need one carryon each.

Have a nice visit.

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:20 AM

< For 3 weeks, my Lady Wife and I have never needed more than 1 26" bag and 2 carryons. >

Perhaps week 1 & 3 they are going to live in the bags?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Hey now. No need for that. Constructive help only please.

Just because I have a washer and dryer doesn't mean that I don't want a few different options!! And I plan on buying lots of souvenirs which I will need to lug home.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you traveling around by train at any point? A 26" is a bit large for that. My biggest suitcase is a 24" expandable.

My advice about the new shoes and sandals you mention is buy them asap, so you can wear them around plenty before taking them on the trip. It's hard to know what will prove really comfortable without having time to test them out first.

My best overall tip is to have things that all coordinate with each other, can be worn in layers, and be willing to wear things more times between washings then you might at home.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM

For a carry-on I like a nylon zippered tote, so it has basically no weight or shape of it's own & can be stuffed full or carried mostly empty as an everyday pocketbook.

A small daypack also works nicely for some people (not a 'backpack' person myself but they are extremely functional).

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suze. Yes we will have a lot of train travel. Zurich to Grindelwald, then Grindelwald to Montreux, then Montreux to Paris via Lausanne. Not to mention Paris to Avignon a week later.

I guess I'm not visualizing a 26" properly. I really didn't think it was that big, compared to the monstrosities that I usually bring to Vegas for 4 days. Maybe I'll consider a 24" instead.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Also, do you have any links to a nylon zippered tote that you could recommend?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM
ira

Hi J,

>we will have a lot of train travel.

You will be very unhappy with 2 large suitcases.

Not only do they have to be dragged around the train station, they have to be lifted onto the train, dragged to the luggage racks, dragged off the train....

I suggest the following.

Put all you expect to need into a large suitcase.

Walk the suitcase for about 1/2 mile. Take it up two flights of stairs.

Decide what you can leave home.

Re souvenirs:

1. Bring bubble wrap.

b. Bring a nylon clothes bag. On your flight home, put all of your dirty clothes into the clothes bag and put your souvenirs, carefully wrapped in bubble wrap, into your ONE large suitcase.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Please look at the luggage you intend to buy & imagine yourself dragging it up & down stairs in the train station. The biggest mistake we made when traveling to London was bringing with a large suitcase which my husband had to lug around. I almost lost him when I jumped on a train & he was still struggling to catch up to me. We now take two smaller suitcases & one carry-on instead.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM

I am a petite woman who used to live in Europe, did a lot of my personal travelling by train on my own, and NEVER packs lightly. (Packing lightly is a "skill" admired only by those who possess it, not by those who have to travel with someone wearing the same shirt for a month....)

I generally use two large duffle bags and a small rolling suitcase. The duffle bags hold a tremendous amount of stuff, and one or both can be slung on a shoulder which frees up both hands. Most importantly, duffles can be thrown onto and off trains and stuffed into overhead luggage compartments. That makes getting on and off the train very easy as you don't have to struggle up and down steps with big suitcases. You can buy locks to lock them, but they look so unpretentious that no one is interested in their contents (esp if you have or borrow someone's old ones from summer camp that are all beat up). Put shoes and toiletries in the rolling suitcase, that makes the duffels even lighter and nothing gets broken when you throw 'em from the train onto the station platform.

On trains, the baggage thing is a pain for about 5 minutes getting on and off the train and after that is not really an issue IMO. There are luggage racks at both ends the cars on most trains so you don’t have to go too far into the car with the bags; if you are in the older style cars with compartments, there is overhead storage.

Check your luggage allowance on airlines. Virtually all airlines allow 2 checked bags in economy and many allow 3 in business class. There is usually a weight limit of 50 pounds a bag, but even for a big packer like me, 50 lbs each is a lot of stuff, so I wouldn’t worry too much about the weight part. If you are an elite milage member of a milage club, you often also have greater check-in allowances. That gives you some flexibility as well.

I would bring a raincoat with a removable lining. Good for Paris and Montreux hopefully without the lining, and then you will want the lining in the higher elevations in Swizterland. An umbrella for sure. For the mountains bring gloves, a hat, good waterproof boots/sturdy shoes, and other clothes that you can layer and take on or off as the weather will be changeable, and indoors will be quite warm. Even if you aren’t hiking you are going to encounter mud and snow when walking in the villages and going to places like the top of the Jungfrau.

Capris may be wishful thinking in many parts of Switzerland, bring some long pants too. I would bring at least one heavy sweater and some long sleeve t-shirts. In Provence, you can get the spring wind that can be cold too.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:50 AM

I think you would be better off with a much smaller suitcase. I can travel for a month, with plenty of variety, in a 21" rolling suitcase.

I take three pairs of slacks (black, khaki and sometimes tencel jeans), seven or eight tops (black cashmere turtleneck, black sweater set, white sweater set, red sweater set and a turquoise Chico's top), a polartec jacket and a rain jacket. I take two pairs of walking shoes, one with plain toes that are a little dressier. I have a long black skirt along if it looks like the opera or similar event is in the plans. The jersey separates sound perfect except that you will find long pants more versatile. A set of silk long underwear takes almost no space and is quite warm. My raincoat has a hood so I leave the hat at home. I'm also from New England so that I don't find May weather cold. I always take a scarf and an interesting (but not valuable) necklace to increase the variety.

Check out SportSac for a light weight, unstructured carry on. You might also check out TravelSmith and Maggellan for ideas for suitcases and other travel gadgets.

Scan the Rick Steves' guide for some easy hikes in the Berner Oberland that won't require special clothing.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:13 AM

I'd go with the 24" suitcases - one each (for souvenirs of course, !) We did train travel and it's much easier rolling a 24" straight down the aisles than hiking a larger one sideways. Also too hard to get them up overhead if you choose not to use the storage at the end of the cars (which I did not do because it seems too easy for someone to grab one at the station and run).
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:32 AM

To get some good ideas on what to pack, check out travelsmith.com
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:51 AM

jenblase- There's one like I'm picturing in the TravelSmith catalog mentioned above. It's actually called *18" x 14" matching fold-up tote* that comes free with a rolling carry-on there are advertising (1495).

They are simply a square of nylon with shoulder straps and a zipper. I've seen similar by the manufacturer Le Sports Sac also.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7008_5205.html

here's one!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, jenblase,

if you really think you might be buying a lot of gear in europe, why not buy a second case here? then your initial travel will be with one only - much easier.

and as you are planning on buying some clothes for the trip anyway, why not get them in Paris? then you'll have the right weight for the weather!

regards, ann