Milan to Puglia via Train?

Mar 14th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Milan to Puglia via Train?

My boyfriend and I are planning on returning to Italy the last week of July (07). Our destination is Puglia - Foggia specifically, we are meeting up with some people to scout properties. We want to make this as economical a trip as possible, but also enjoy Italy and see new parts of it. I have found airfare in July to Milan for $550. I understand the distance from Milan to Puglia is great. We would arrive in Milan on a Friday and want to be in Puglia by Monday.

We are fine with our backpacks and sneakers and trains and trekking across the country to Puglia, but I am a bit nervous about staying in Hostels. Has anyone done this route on a train? What are some ideas regarding economical places to stay and or good deals for trains? I have found some B and B's in Parma and Perugia for between 30 and 65 Euros per person per night. We would like to keep it at about 30-45 euros per person, per night. I have found some train tickets through Rail Europe - 3 days of travel for 2nd class- $184, and if we wanted to add on another day, it would be an additional 24 dollars.

So what is the cheapest way (trains/accomedations) to get from Milan to Foggia? And what are some must sees in Northern Italy? We LOVED the Almalfi Coast so think small charming towns, amazing food and wine, some big city exposure is okay, I heard Parma is great.

The plan is in its infancy stages right now, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Grazie!

Mar 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
ira

Hi LT,

>I have found airfare in July to Milan for $550. <

From where? That's a great price if it's from the US.

Have you looked at www.trenitalia.com to see if there is a train from Milan to Foggia?

Also check www.viamichelin.com for towns near Foggia that have train stations.

Mar 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM

If you are looking for the cheapest tckets, do not buy them from Rail Europe, since they add a service charge of $15 or more to each ticket.

Go to Trenitalia.com and search for trains from Milano Centrale to Foggia. Keep in mind you will have to pay another 5 euros each to get from the Milan airport (Malpensa) to get to Milano Centrale train station.

I would expect a trip of this length to take at least 8 hours. You'll have to check the ticket prices, though you will find cheaper options on trains that are even slower. It may not be necessary to buy your tickets before arriving in Italy, but for your route you might find some special reduced fares.

Then check flights to Rome and the cost of trains from Rome to Foggia. It may be that the extra train cost and time to come ffrom Milan will equal the cost for arriving in Rome and training from there.

I made the trip from Cesena (near Bologna) to Molfetta (a few stops beyond Foggia) a few years ago. That train followed the east coast most of the way. It was an IC train and took 6 hours. I suspect a train from Milan might take a more central route. My return train was from Molfetta to Rome. After a short local train, I switched to an ES that immediately cut cross country to just north of Naples, then north to Rome. That trip took about 3 hours.
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Foggia is actually an pretty good train town, a place where a few different train lines cross.
Mar 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM

You do not want to buy a railpass for your destination. Point-to-point tickets are cheaper. Trenitalia shows that the 2nd class fare on an ES ticket from Milano Centrale to Foggia is Euro 54. You will also pay around 6Euro for the mandatory seat reservation. The ES trains take 6:44 hours with stops in Bologna, Rimini, Ancona, San Benedetto del Tronto, and Pescara. You could stop in Parma, and then continue on to Bologna, but Perugia is way out of your way. Why not stop at one of the above cities on the route? If you take slower regional trains the fare will be cheaper.
Mar 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM

The route lovisa describes is the same I took. From Rimini and for most of the trip south the train hugs the shoreline.
Mar 15th, 2007, 01:55 AM

Foggia is on the main line down the east coast of Italy from Bologna to Bari. The line follows the coast for much of the way from Rimini to Termoli, then stays inland to the west of the Gargano Peninsula.
There is also a line over the mountains from Caserta near Napoli, so there are trains from Roma and Napoli to Foggia.
There are generally lots of cheap hotels near Italian railway stations and you should easily find hotels with rooms for 30 euros per person per night. Italian hotels normally charge per room and a room for two, a "doppio", has twin beds; a room with a double bed is a "matrimoniale".
The end of July is the peak season for Italian holidaymakers, so the seaside resorts will be busy and it may be difficult to find rooms in somewhere like Rimini.