Reload this Page >

Train from London to Dover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:16 PM
marge

We are staying at Thistle Marble Arch which train station do we take for Dover?<BR><BR>I see Connex leaves from Victoria but couldn't find the cost for one way at 8:05 that takes 1 hr 42 min. <BR><BR>On rail europe site I found Charing Cross station. Is this closer for us and what is the name of the train, I did find the price of $11. When and how do I book it or can I wait till we get to London on Aug 26 for Aug 29. Thanks

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:50 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Check it out from London.<BR><BR>Dover trains used to run from Charing X/ Waterloo / London Bridge and via a different line from Victoria.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:22 PM
janis

Either Waterloo or Charing Cross is fairly convenient for you. If going by tube, take the Central line from Marble Arch to Bond St and from there Jubilee line to Waterloo. Or stay on the Central line one stop longer to Oxford Circus, transfer to the Bakerloo line to Charing Cross.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Marge

We would take a cab to the station. Which one? Janis it looks like you think we should take Charing Cross.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:28 PM
janis

marge: It really doesn't matter - six of one 1/2 dozen of the other. The cab ride will be slightly shorter to Charing Cross. Pick the one from which you can get the best fare.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:37 PM
ron

The trains to Dover Priory leave from Charing Cross, cross the river and stop at Waterloo East three minutes later. It makes more sense to take the cab to Charing Cross, it would be cheaper and you are getting on the train at the start of its journey.<BR><BR>I doubt that there is any advantage for advance purchase on a route like this, but, if that $11 fare from RailEurope is genuine, I would snap it up because that is about 1/3rd the normal cost.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Ben Haines

Two trains an hour leave Victoria (as they do Charing Cross) and run along a more interesting route to Dover, with views of the Medway, Rochester Castle and Cathedral, Canterbury Cathedral (if you are quick) and the hop gardens and orchards of Kent. The fares on the two routes are the same, and Connex run them both.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to England.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Julie

Ben - This summer I will be taking the train from London-Bruges via Dover. Was wondering if you think that this is the best option, and if I should buy a ticket to Dover then tickets to Brussels/Bruges, or just buy a ticket for the entire journey (if possible...)<BR>Also do you know roughly was the cost is to Dover (I'm on a tight budget so am trying to estimate travel costs!)<BR><BR>Any advice would be wonderful!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:06 AM
andrew

Julie - In answer to your question just buy a ticket from London to Bruges. The Eurostar train does not stop at Dover.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:09 AM
andrew

sorry meant Brussels rather than Bruges