Day trip from Paris to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some hints on a day trip from Paris to London. We are leaving at 0930 from Paris. London departs at 8:05 PM. Check in suggested 30 min before each departure.
I know this is just a tourists dip into London. I've been there before for 5 days, but I want to show a bit of it to my family. As an Itinerary, can we:
Arrive St. Pancras and taxi to Harrod' Spend an hour or two there including lunch.
Take the red tour bus.
Stop at Buckingham Palace on the return and walk to Westminster,then Parliament.
Take the boat on the Thames to the Tower and then taxi back to St. Pancras? Too ambitious? Please help!!! We don't care if we don't get it all done. Just a taste to tempt everyone back for another trip.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM

I wouldn't count on taxis being the fastest way to get around. The last time I was in London (admittedly 2 years ago) traffic was quite heavy, even during non-commute times. (The congestion charge seems to be having less effect -- unless Londoners are driving less in the current economic times.)

We arrived in London at King's Cross about 1 o'clock and had to wait about an hour for a taxi in an everlengthening line. Then it took a while to thread our way through traffic to get to Chelsea.

The tube is faster, not so scenic, but very much a part of London life.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:03 AM

I agree...take the Picadilly Line to Knightsbridge. Harrods is right there: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM

I dont think you will have time for all of that.

What time do you arrive in London?

I would not spend my precious time at Harrods, but thats just me.

I would maybe start at Buckingham Palace (jump on the Victoria Line and exit at Green Park), walk through St James' Park, see Westminster Abbey and Parliament...grab lucnh in a pub around there. In the afternoon you can easily walk up to Trafalgar Square, Leicester Sq and Covent Garden...lots of places to have dinner. Then easily jump on the Picadilly Line back to Kings Cross/St Pancras.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tube suggestion. We love the metro in Paris and will definitely make use of the tube.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM

London is one hour behind Paris which means that you gain an hour for your day trip in London but you are likely to be tired the next day.

Yes do use the Underground but walk through to Kings Cross Station underground ticket hall to avoid the queues in St Pancras from everyone else trying to buy a ticket just off the Eurostar. If you want to use an ATM, come out of the station cross the Euston Road there is a bank opposite and then re-enter the underground station and buy tickets. That is heartfelt advice as I made the mistake of trying all the ATMs in both Kings Cross and St Pancras before going outside and I live locally.

If you buy day travelcards zone 1 & 2 for the underground to Harrods when you arrive you can take the ordinary buses from Harrods to Westminster. Take one to Hyde Park Corner and then change for a bus to Westminster, about 40 mins. I love travelling on the river so support your choice to the Tower. You should have plenty of time to walk and explore a bit before your departure.

From the Tower to St Pancras is about an hour by bus(es) or you can walk to Tower Hill underground station and take the Circle line to Kings Cross, via Liverpool Street, less than half an hour. This is not just thrift, as others have said the taxis might not get through easily at the rush hour. Currently congestion is being caused partly by the massive replacement of victorian water mains in preparation for speedy transit of Olympic officials through London in 2012.

If you go with the flow you should have an enjoyable day.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Even with gaining an hour, I'd take an earlier train from Paris to London.

The 30-minute check-in deadline for the Eurostar is mandatory, not simply suggested.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM

Hi Nancy -

I agree with Jamikens, skip Harrod's. The trip from Paris to London takes about 2 1/2 hrs, so you'll want to make the most of your time in London. The Charles Dickens Museum is worth a visit, if you enjoy his books.