One day trip to London, need advice!

Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day trip to London, need advice!

Hi!
We are taking the Channel Tunnel round trip from Paris to London for a day trip in early~mid November. Yes! I realize more time would be nice but would like to focus this forum on what we can realistically see in one day by foot or public transportation and/or tour.
Should we organize a London city tour? Any specific suggestions?
We would like to see Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, etc.. We have never visited London before and will go back but we have one day so would appreciate itineraries/ specific suggestions to visit some main historical places. Also, if anyone has a suggestion of a great pub for lunch.
Thanks for your help!
DK
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:20 AM

I would not take a tour unless you are content with seeing just the exterior of the places you want to visit. Instead, choose the top two or three places you would like to visit - Tower of London would be at the top of my list - and visit those on your own. Transport within London is very easy via the Tube.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:43 AM

The bus map in the TfL visitors' guide helps you locate the places you want to see in relation to the main bus lines and tube stations:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/visitors-and-tourists
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply!
The "Tube"? Is that like the metro? Do I have to buy tickets in advance?
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:47 AM

I do not have the depth of experience of others on the forum, but I have made several day trips to London (I live here in the UK and my visitors always want to see London). I am just going to share what we usually manage in one day.

Arrive in London St Pancras via train (where the Eurostar will be arriving for you). Tube to Westminster. Photos and street views of Westminster, Big Ben, Houses of Parliment. Walk through St James Park to see Buckingham Palace. Walk back towards river to watch Horse Guard Ceremony. Walk to Trafalgar Square, catch bus to vicinity of Tower Bridge, walk over bridge, spend an hour or so in Tower of London. Back to St Pancras via Tube. Stops along the way to eat. Leisurely but not at all in-depth.

Remember that sunset is early - 4:30 or so that time of year, greatly decreasing your photo-taking daylight.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Yes, the Tube is London's underground train system (also sometimes referred to as "the Underground") - think of it like the metro in Paris or the subway in New York. (FYI, "subway" has a different meaning in London; if you ask about the subway, you might get pointed to underground corridors used to cross major intersections, not the train.)

St Pancras International station is connected to Kings Cross/St Pancras Tube station. You can buy tickets from machines at the Tube station - no need to buy in advance. From there you can either go straight to the Tower area (Tower Hill tube stop - you'll have to change lines), visit the Tower and take the Tube direct to Westminster for Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, or do the reverse. If your train gets you there before the Tower opens, I'd do that first to avoid the crowds. If it doesn't, it might be better to do Westminster in the morning and then go to the Tower after lunch, when the crowds have hopefully died down from the morning rush (this is just conjecture on my part though - no personal experience on that).
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 01:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We would like to see Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, etc..'etc.'. Between the travel time and meals two biggies is about optimum for a day trip. Which two 'biggies' you visit are up to you . . the Tower, the Abbey, St Paul's, British Museum, National Gallery, V&A, Cabinet War Rooms, Imperial War Museum - pick 2, one til lunch time and one in the mid afternoon. Have a nice lunch in between - maybe at one of those venues since all have decent cafes/restaurants. Afterwards walk around the Westminster area a bit to see Big Ben/the Eye/Parliament/the river/the Palace and parks - all are w/i a few block of each other. Have a nice dinner, head back to St Pancras and catch your train
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 01:57 PM

>

Um, don't give the OP bad advice. If the OP takes the Circle Line, there is NO NEED TO CHANGE TRAINS. Six stops from Kings X/St Pancras to Tower Hill. From Tower Hill the OP just has to hop on the first train going west (District or Circle Line) to get to Westminster.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 07:14 PM

You're right, Russ, I misread the map. A bit harsh in tone, perhaps?