COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

One Day in London

Old Jun 16th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

One Day in London

If you had never been to London and had only one day, where would you go and what would you visit/do?
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 08:16 PM

I had just one day with a friend late last year. We arrived on the Eurostar from Paris at 9am and left at 7pm.
Our schedule was:
- Tube to St. Paul's Cathedral/walk up the stairs to the dome
- Walk across Milennium Bridge and along the south embankment
- Tate Modern then Blackfriars tube to Embankment
- London Eye
- Walk over Westminster Bridge
- Big Ben/Houses of Parliament/ Westminster Abbey
- Tube to Green Park
- walk to Buckingham Palace and photos
- Walk along Piccadilly to Piccadilly Circus the up to Oxford street
- Do some shopping and then tube to St. Pancras for trip back to Paris

Plan was also to see the British Museum but not enough time for that. It was a tiring day but manageable.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 08:39 PM

The number one thing on my list would be the Tower of London.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Tower of London
British Museum
Westminster Abbey

Get a very early start and keep moving. If you're really a full day and a night I would do a show in the evening after a tea and with a late dinner.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 04:48 AM

I agree with nytraveler. The three sites are a bit far flung but can be done in a day. Get tickets to the Tower in advance and plan to do a vergers tour of Westminster Abbey.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:15 AM

Do you have an entire day + either the night before or after? Or are you doing a day trip? If just a day trip, what time do you arrive in London? Where?

Trying to squeeze in the Tower, British Museum and Westminster Abbey on the same day would be very VERY difficult. A teensy bit easier if you are sleeping in London the night before because you could get to the Tower at opening time.

If you arrive in London in the morning (as opposed to sleeping there the night before) say you can get to the Tower by 10AM. Leaving the Tower by 1PM you could get to the British Museum around 1:30. Even just 2 hours in the museum will have you too late to get into the Abbey (most days the Abbey closes at 3:30PM)

If you reverse the Abbey and Museum you could just squeeze them in. Most days the Museum closes at 5:30 . . . but you'd be going at a dead run all day long.

What do YOU want out of a day in London -- touring a couple of the major sites? Or walking around mainly absorbing/looking at the famous views?
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:17 AM

If I had just one day, I'd definitely do Tate and the Borough Market, a walk around Oxford and Piccadilly Circus, and then the Westminster & Big Ben area.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:42 AM

See Buckingham Palace and the Westminster & Big Ben area. You can see the London eye from either side of the Westminster bridge.
If you have never been and really want to see what London offers in a day do a Hop Off Hop On bus tour. I did my first time in London and I don't regret it. It let me get my bearings as to where everything is for the other times I have been there.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Unboundly: Would you actually spend part of your only day on Oxford Street?? (assuming you didn't mean 'Oxford' - which would be impossible)

And to fit in w/ Borough Market you must mean Tate Modern -- terrific art gallery, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea . . .
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Didn't see Martha's post - I strongly recommend NOT taking a H-o-H-o bus. Maybe to acclimate yourself at the beginning of several days in in the city - but for your only time in London, don't spend it stuck in traffic looking at the outsides of places.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:49 AM

I'd lean towards the walking around rather than going in, try to get a flavor for the place maybe picking one place to go in this of course would depend on what you like Modern Art - Tate Modern, Post Impressionists The Courtauld, Markets -go to Borough, Churches Westminster Abbey or St Pauls. Museums Brit Museum, Quirky -The Soane Museum.

I would not recommend Oxford Street to my worst enemy, not even my best friend's ex-husband!

I like Blueeyedcod's circuit, here' my modification
St. Paul's Cathedral/walk up the stairs to the dome, coffee at Paul, enjoy the view and stop by nearby Paternoster Sq to see Wren's Temple Bar and read about how it was relocated.
- Walk across Milennium Bridge and along the south embankment, past the Globe theatre and the Tate Modern walk down the river to the London Eye (could add Borough Market here but it's a little further east so ignore unless unmissable)
- Walk over Westminster Bridge
- Big Ben/Houses of Parliament/ Westminster Abbey
- Tube to Green Park from here I'd go to Fortnum and Mason and have a look at the Burlington Arcade and or Shepards Market for a pint, otherwise walk to Buckingham Palace past the Georgian houses that front onto the park including Spencer House . Personally I don't have much feel for Buckingham Palace but I get that it has an appeal for others.

Of course this is all too much and I'm exhausted just writing it out. Equally you could leave the Parliament area and take a bus to Trafalgar Sq to end at the Vista bar, or the crypt at St Martins in the Field.

If it were my choice I'd take a taxi into town past the main sites the do a bit of the river walk, the curtailed, the inns of Court and the Soane.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:50 AM
ESW

Is this a rhetorical question?

What sort of things are you interested in seeing?
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 06:56 AM

spellcheck strikes again not "curtailed" but Courtauld!