Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Floence to St. Moritz, Switzerland

Old May 13th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Please can someone advise. I get no direct or clear answer anywhere. I know I can get a ticket to Milan and onto Tirano on arrival in Florence. The problem is Tirano to St. Moritz. Does this need to be done in advance? Our travel is on a sunday May 28 and i see that the ticket office at the Tirano station is only open weekdays. We don't want to get there and not be able to get to St. Moritz. Does Milan give us the ticket for Tirano to St. Moritz? If so is it ok on arrival at the station to get the tickets. WE just want a regular regional train no scenic ones so do seats sell out? I also find it confusing becuase if you buy the ticket in Italy how does the swiss pass work on that leg of the trip taking you into Switzerland.

I Have read you have to buy two separate tickets as in you cannot buy all at onece Florence to St. Moritz. I would really apprreciate advice.
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:30 PM

The ticket from Tirano to St. Moritz can't be bought online from the Italian rail website, but you should be able to buy it at the train station in Florence. It's not a reserved ticket, so it can't sell out. It's good for any train on that day.

There are also authorized travel agents in the Florence train station, who would be able to sell you any tickets.
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:45 PM

There must be ticket machines in Tirano Swiss station - or you may be able to pay the conductor before the train leaves - regular trains that is - the rule usually for ticketless folks is that you find the conductor before he finds and fines you with no valid ticket.

But just buy it in Florence or even perhaps in the Italian Tirano train station if open.

From the Italian station the Swiss station is just across the square - nearly adjacent to each other.

Have no worry about getting on regular Bernina trains- no reservations possible I think and as the train starts in Tirano you'll have the pick of seats (sit on west side for best views)- in summer they run open-air flatbed cars on regional trains - the ultimate observation cars IME (though it go a bit chilly)-these are unreserved 2nd class cars - not on all trains but if so quite a thrill.

Where are you going after St-Moritz? If back to Italy most of the awesome scenery is about half-way at the summit area - Bernina Ospiz and Alp Grum - great place to get off -have a lunch on the hotel observation terrace or walk to the nearby glacier around a pristine Alpine lake.

Most folks just stay on the train and really can't savor this astounding setting - ask conductor if there is baggage storage at these stations.

For lots on Bernina Pass Railway and Italian and Swiss trains - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com - check www.sbb.ch Swiss Railways online schedule and fare sight - you may be able to purchase a Bernina to St Moritz ticket that like bvlenci says can be used on any regional train. Probably have to cancel your own ticket before boarding in cancelling machines.

Few here seem to love St.Moritz but love nearby Pontresina, also on the Bernina Railway.
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:04 PM

Do you want the Bernina Express or just a regular train ticket?

You can buy the Milan/Tirano on TreNord.

http://www.trenord.it/it/home.aspx

You can buy the Tirano/St. Moritz on Rhaetian Railway.

https://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travel...-normal-ticket
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:49 PM

<as the train starts in Tirano you'll have the pick of seats>

Maybe...we took the Bernina Express (regular train) from St Moritz-Tirano-St Moritz a few years back (in early December no less).

We had an entire car to ourselves on the journey to Tirano, but the train from Tirano to St Mortiz was absolutely packed.

An anomaly? No idea.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:06 PM

Do you want the Bernina Express or just a regular train ticket?>

OP says regular train.

Anyone know if there are ticket machines in Tirano, Swiss station -must be some way to buy tickets on Sunday.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:22 PM

Maybe...we took the Bernina Express (regular train) from St Moritz-Tirano-St Moritz a few years back (in early December no less).

We had an entire car to ourselves on the journey to Tirano, but the train from Tirano to St Mortiz was absolutely packed.>

Was it some kind of group? Or immigrants? Anomaly - I was only generalizing but OP should get to the train as early as possible I guess.

Kind of weird.
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, this is helpful. I am glad to know we can just get thet tickets for the whole way once in Florence at the train station. WE prefer the regional train from Tirano to St. Moritz. The only other question is my swiss rail pass may not help me if I buy the ticket in Italy for TIrano to St. Mortiz??
Old May 14th, 2017, 03:31 PM

<<The only other question is my swiss rail pass may not help me if I buy the ticket in Italy for Tirano to St. Mortiz??>>

Your Swiss Rail Pass WILL cover the trip from Tirano to St Moritz (and throughout Switzerland).

You'll need a ticket TO Tirano from Florence, or wherever you'll be in Italy.

Just buy a ticket from Florence (or wherever) to Tirano, then get on the train (assuming you have a validated Swiss Pass in hand).
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:55 AM

>>>Anyone know if there are ticket machines in Tirano, Swiss station -must be some way to buy tickets on Sunday.<<<

You can buy from the link I gave (regular train or bernina), but the Swiss rail site indicates you can buy tickets there also. As does the RHB railway site.

https://www.sbb.ch/content/internet/...nhof.9369.html

https://www.rhb.ch/en/service-souven.../detail/tirano
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:42 PM

then get on the train (assuming you have a validated Swiss Pass in hand).>

A universal railpass rule usually says that if a passholder cannot validate the pass at a station - say if closed - the conductor will do it on the train. anyway read the rules that come with the pass.

kyborubon - thanks for taking time to answer - OP can buy tickets once in Tirano for sure it seems.
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:35 PM

Not directly addressing your question, but be advised some trains do not go direct Tirano to St Mortiz, A transfer may be required in Pontresina or Samedan, which is absolutely no big deal. Just jump on the next train leaving Tirano and your (Swiss) conductor should be able to help with this.

If your goal is neat train rides, - I suggest a 1/2 day ride from St Moritz to Scoul down the lower Engadinn Valley. A spectacular train ride!