Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland - Chur or St Moritiz/Train Question

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travlling on the Bernina express and the Glacier Express, I need overnight accomodation in Chur or St Moritz, I know hotels in St Moritz will cost more, the hotel I am looking at in St Moritz is CHF 25 more than the hotel in Chur. Not sure which place is better to stay in.

If I choose Chur, I arrive by Glacier Express and reach Chur at 14.38 and I have the remainder of the day to explore Chur, however I need to depart at 0830 the following morning for Tirano and I will connect to a Tren Italia train to Milan, the Bernina express arrives in Tirano at 1235 and the Tren Italia train departs at 1310, however I need to buy a ticket for Tren Italia and I am not sure I'm make this connection. Italian train stations in the past they have always been crowded, had long lines and the ticket counters and and most of the self serve kiosks were out of order. When I have been to The next train is two hours later. I really don't want to be stuck in Tirano.

My other choice is to take the Glacier Express to St Moritz, this will arrive in St Morritz at 14.57 I have the remainder of the day in St Moritz, however I don't think much will be open once I arrive. I need to depart the next morning at 0941 and I arrive in Tirano at 1157, which will give me more time make my connection to Milan.

I know that there are regular trains on the Bernina express route, but these require two changes and I'm reluctant to take the train because of this.

Which option is better? Do I have enough time in St Moritz to see anything? IS Chur worth visiting instead? Which town is better given my time comstraints and the circumstances.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM

The arrival time you gave us for St. Moritz must be incorrect.

Personally, I would stay in Chur. It's a nice, old town with some sights (cathedral, church St. Luzi, Museums) with a lot of very good shops, restaurants, cafes. I love wandering along the narrow, cobbled alleys.

Don't worry about two changes. Everything will go smoothly, the trains will probably be on the same platform. Why don't you buy the ticket for the Italian train in advance in Switzerland? I am sure it's possible.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, thank you for the feedback. Yes, you're right the train arrives in St Moritz at 1657. I made a mistake.

I didn't know I can buy the Tren Italia ticket in Switzerland, that would make things simple, all that I'd have to do in Tirano is validate the ticket.

Are the two trains stations in Tirano far? I know that SBB and Tren Italia have their own stations in Tirano.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Are you sure about your departure time from Chur on the Bernina Express? I thought it departed a bit closer to 9:00 Am and the arrival time in Tirano is just AFTER the train to Milan so you may have to wait a couple hours for the next one.

The reason i say/ask all this is because I am taking the exact same route this coming week.

The two rail stations in Tirano are more or less across a square from one another.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Dukey, you are travelling when the Bernina express operates on the winter schedule, which is until May 15, the train departs Chur at 0858 on the winter schedule.
After May 15 the train operates on the summer schedule and departs at 0830.

I need to sort out accomodation in Chur or St Moritz and my Glacier Express and Bernina Express booking. Which is why I posted this question. Also, I unsure which would be more interesting, Chur or St Moritz, given the amount of time I will have in either place.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Dukey is right, the train stations are right next to each other. No problem.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ingo and Dukey.