Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from CDG to Normandy - then Normandy to Loire Valley

Jun 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

We will be flying into CDG. We have 5 days before we move into our Paris apt rental and would like to take a train directly from the airport station to Normandy (we'd like to base in either Bayeux or Honfleur. I'm baffled by the SNCF website and not coming up with any possibilities. Can we do this from CDG? Or do we have to go into Paris and get a train? Also, with the uncertainty of a flight being delayed, if there is a train we can take from CDG, would we be able to get tickets after we arrive at CDG (we're traveling in October). Also, after a 2-3 days in Normandy, we want to go to to the Loire Valley, basing either in Tours or, preferably, Amboise.

I know the best answer is just rent a car, but my husband will not consider it, so can anyone give me a little guidance? I have been on a couple of the train websites but am still baffled. We could reverse our plans and go to Loire Valley first if that works better.

Thanks for any advice!
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Not a train expert but I imagine you would have to take a train to Paris first to reach either of those destinations. There is frequent rail service between CDG and Paris so that part is easy. If your husband doesn't want to drive to either of those places after a long flight that is probably a good idea. I hope he will want to drive once you arrive at either of those places though. Having a car will be much more convenient than relying on train and bus transport. Not impossible to do trains and buses but requires careful advanced planning and a more strict itinerary, especially with your limited time in either place.
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM

You have to go into Paris.

But I DO hope you plan to rent a car IN Normandy. Otherwise, really not worth going unless you want to take motorcoach tours while you're there.