TGV from CDG to Normandy

Search

TGV from CDG to Normandy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV from CDG to Normandy

Hello and thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. I have two questions: 1. My wife and I arrive in CDG about 3 hours apart this August. Is there a best place to meet? How about communicating if something goes wrong? 2. How do we catch the TGV to the Normandy area? Do I have to go to another terminal (Lazarre?) and switch trains or can I go direct from CDG?

Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 12:40 PM

You'll have to go into Paris to get a train. Have you thought of renting a car and driving? It is a wonderful road trip.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 12:55 PM

What part of Normandy are you headed for? It's a big area, with a lot of possibilities for train travel, but in general, you'd need to go into Paris first. I can't think of any connections to Normandy from CDG.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Gretchen,

Thanks. We plan to spend 4 to 5 days visiting Normandy, Brittany, and a touch of the Loire Valley before returning to Paris. I had planned on renting a car in Normandy. I've been told that I could get a direct train to other parts of France from CDG. Is this correct? If so, it might make sense to do the trip in reverse or start in another part of France. I can't find a site that shows me destinations from CDG.

Thanks to all for their thoughts,

Ralph
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Ralph:

Here's a map of TGV routes:

http://www.tgv.com/FR/infos/preparer/popup.html

As you can see, TGV service to Normandy is very mimited (Rouen and Le Havre). It's better to Brittany. But as far as I know, no TGVs to either destination originate at Roissy.

You could take the TGV (from Paris) to Rouen and pick up a car there (Rouen is a fabulous town), or continue to Le Havre and start there (not much to see in that town proper). Or you could do your loop the other direction and start in, say, Rennes, and come home through Rouen.
Or you could take a regular train from the Gare St-Lazare to Caen, which makes a great launching point for visiting the DDay sites, and there are multiple car rental companies right there at the station (as I imagine there are in Rouen and Rennes and Le Havre, too).
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

StCirq

Thanks, this is helpful. What transfers would I make to get from CDG to St-Lazarre? Also, is there a version of the TGV site that shows direct trains from CDG?

Thanks
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 01:51 PM
ira

Dear Ski,

Please tell us exactly where you want to go from CDG and we will help you get there.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Ira,

We plan to spend 4 to 5 days visiting Normandy, Brittany, and a touch of the Loire Valley before returning to Paris. Any convenient starting point would work - so I was trying to find easy direct TGVs.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:02 PM

We're going to Normandy in September and are picking up a car at CDG, then driving to Giverny and on to Les Andelys for the night. The scenery along the Seine is beautiful and much more accessible by car than by train.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Just curious Underhill. Is there a reason you are choosing to stay in Les Andelys rather than Rouen?
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Probably because it is closer to Giverney, and a charming village. Sounds like a good plan to me. We pushed on to Rouen, but it would have been nice to stay there.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Exactly, Gretchen--we enjoy staying at pretty country places instead of in large cities. We'll be at La Chaîne d'Or, a "restaurant avec chambres" that gets a good rating in the Michelin Guide and elsewhere. By staying there we'll also avoid the traffic around Rouen on our arrival day and have time the following morning to see the ruins in Les Andelys. Since we'll be in Rouen the following two nights, we'll have a chance to see something different en route.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Be sure to go to the Musee des Beaux Arts--wonderful Impressionist wing.

Skis, we did this trip a year ago but rented our car at CDG, drove through Normandy and back to Orly to turn in the car. It was quite easy.
If you take the train you will have to go into Paris (taxi=more money spent + time + tired from the trip over).
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM

We also love the small towns and country inns much more than the cities. I just checked into the Michelin guide, which I should have done before asking you the question, I suppose. The place you chose sounds great. I know you are quite knowledgeable about France, and that is the reason I wanted to know why you chose that town. It makes a lot of sense after visiting Giverny too. Good plan!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:53 AM

We flew into CDG and then took a train to Caen. From CDG, we took RER B toward Massy-Palaiseau and got off at Gare du Nord. We then took RER E at Magenta toward Haussmann-Saint-Lazare and got off at Haussman-Saint-Lazarre. The estimated time was 55 minutes, but it took us a little longer as it was our first trip. As I recall, you hold onto your ticket, as one ticket gets you all the way there. At Gare St. Lazarre we bought tickets to Caen. There was, however, a substantial wait at Gare St. Lazarre, as we got there too late for the early train, so we ended up using the whole day for travel.

Since you are going to rent a car anyway, I would suggest you do so at CDG, and learn to use the metro on another day.

Incidentally, I got those routing instructions at http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm
which is an excellent way for finding your way around Paris on public transportation, although I think someone recently reported the site was not working.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:33 AM

As to meeting at CDG, try this web site

http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an.nsf/$$Affich@ReadForm&cle=X100120126.html

Pick the appropriate terminal and it will give you a condensed map, which expands when you click on it. I believe each terminal has a lounge outside the customs and immigrations areas, and that is probably the best place to meet. You might want to print the enlarged map so each party will be able to see where you plan to wait.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Skis:

Personally, I just don't DO public transportation into Paris after an all-night flight, but others don't mind it, so follow clevelandbrown's suggestions if that's the route you want to follow. Otherwise, take a taxi.

The TGV map I gave you the link to should show routes that originate at CDG. If not, go to the SNCF site and experiment with the departure point as Roissy and the destination point as Rouen or Caen or Le Havre or Rennes or wherever.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, to all for replying. It is most helpful. Given the extra hour or so of negotiating trains to get to the one to Rouen, I do think I will rent the car right at CDG. In fact, it will be a good use of the 2-3 hours between my arrival and my wife's arrival.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Skis:

Renting at CDG is a good option. It's not difficult to get out of the airport and on your way to Normandy.

I trust you know that you should arrange your rental in advance from the USA (I assume that's your point of origin) and that you'll pay a bit extra for airport rentals.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Wren,

I'll be sure to let you know how La Chaîne d'Or turns out; I do know that we have rooms overlooking the gardens that back down to the Seine.

Gretchen,

The Musée des Beaux Arts is high on our list for our 2 days in Rouen. So is the art museum in Le Havre with the Dufy collection that the painter's widow donated.