How to get to Normandy from Paris ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If driving is not a problem, would it be best to take the TGV to Rouen, pickup car and proceed to Honfleur-Bayeux-Beaches-Caen, then TGV to Paris ---or---

Just drive from Paris, and drop off car in Caen?

So many posts recommend the TGV to Rouen, I wanted to understand why, is the drive from Paris too long or not scenic??
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 03:16 AM

The drive to Rouen can be very scenic if you go up the north side of the Seine. And then the drive from Rouen along the Abbaye Road is lovely going to Honfleur. But we did it from CDG and didn't pick up a car in the city.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM

I think most people take the train to Rouen or Caen to avoid driving in Paris. If you're arriving at CDG and going straight to Normandy, it's probably easier to drive rather than going into the city to get the train.

Does the TGV actually go to Rouen and Caen? We did Caen to Paris a couple of years ago, and it was not a TGV.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM

TGVs do NOT goe to either Caen or Rouen from Paris. Corail and regional trains do.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Take the train from Saint Lazare. Problem solved.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

After mnaking all reservations to take the train to Rouen on Sunday, found out that NO rental car agency is open there on Sunday, after Avis accepted the reservation. Anyway changed plans to rent a car tommorrow and drive all the way from Montparnesse station. We will see how good the NAV unit is.

***********One Question******
What is the name of the scenic town overlooking the river, on the way to Rouen from Paris? I can not remember the name. Also if anyone has any suggestions of places to stop along the way, they would be appreciated.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

I think the town is called Les Andelys, how far is this out of the way from Paris-Rouen, and is it worth the visit?
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Since you have the car, go to Giverney en route to Rouen. It is also on the north route of the Seine as I mentioned. I hope you have the MIchelin Green Guide to Normandy. It will be invaluable for MANY suggestions of roads to take plus the DDay beaches.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM

CDG to Rouen is 2 hours in a car (if no traffic jams)
As stated above the TGV doesn't go to Rouen or Caen. But getting from CDG to Gare St Lazare is not too easy. Probably best to pick up a car at CDG.
Why not break the trip to Rouen by going to Giverny the home and garden of Monet.
Then Rouen, Honfleur. From Honfleur you could take the coast road towards Bayeux which would take most of the day if you stopped in different places like Trouville, Deauville, Pegasus bridge, or the motorway which takes an hour.
Giverny, Rouen and Honfleur can be appreciated by strolling around but don't try to visit the d-day beaches without a guide, you'll waste your day. You can take a minibus tour, a private guide or an audio guide. On your own with no guide you're just looking at concrete blocks.

Don't miss the tapestry at Bayeux. At Caen there are two abbeys, a cathedral, and the largest fortress in europe built by William the conqueror.
If you plan to visit the Caen Memorial museum, only do it if you have a good full day to visit the beaches. Nothing replaces seeing the real sites with a guide.