train from Amsterdam to Bruge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to book a train via Thalys from Amsterdam to Antwerp and then from Antwerp to Bruge. When I go on the Thalys website, it appears that most of May is either booked already or it's too early to make this reservation. Does anyone know more about how to book the Thalys train? Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 10:35 AM

Nothing unusual about booking it, they have a website.

I do know Thalys is a French-Belgian train system and definitely oes not run between Antwerp and Brugge.

As for Amsterdam-Antwerp, I don't know what you are looking at but I looked at the first 10 days and there were tons of tickets available every single day.

You can't buy tickets more than four months in advance. You really don't need to buy train tickets so far in advance.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 11:37 AM

Yup not for sale yet - check when about four months out and certainly will be tons of open seats but just a few of deeply discounted ones so book as soon as possible and get the ABS Fare - All (or Any?) Belgian Station Fare which in conjunction with an international Thalys ticket like to Antwerp then for a few euros extra lets you take any train within 24 (48?) hours of your Thalys arrival in Antwerp - no domestic Belgian trains even have reservations so you can hop any train and as trains Antwerp to Bruges probably start in Antwerp no problem getting seats.

Or you can just take the non-Thalys International trains run by Dutch and Belgian Railways where you can get cheap tickets even right up to trains as they have a cheap flat fare though may get discounts also by booking early - www.ns.nl - if menachem, a Dutch Fodorite sees this he can confirm or correct my understanding of those tickets. Thalys is a bit faster but not that much between Antwerp and Amsterdam. For lots on Thalys and regular trains check www.seat61.com - the best site for advice on booking online tickets- general info BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Antwerp is a neat city so trow bags in station locker and spend a few hours looking around perhaps.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 11:47 AM

You need nsinternational.nl, not ns.nl. You can book either Thalys or the Intercity direct on that site. €29 to Brugge change at Antwerp with IC direct. Bookable four months out.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Hetismij - is 29 euros the walk-up fare or a special discount sold in limited numbers? Dank u wel.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 12:47 PM

That is a book it online fare on certain trains. If I wanted to go tomorrow it would be €47 online and I assume the same at the station if there was still space. On the 21st Jan I could go for €29. It varies on date and time. Weekends are more expensive. Thalys is generally more expensive, but faster.
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 01:16 PM

dank u - I like to keep up with these things - all things about train fares - one more question if you have time - you say each IC train is capacity controlled - does that include a seat reservation now - I thought on trains not requiring reservations people with full fare tickets could take any train - not sure how railways would know how many fully flexible ticket holders would be on each train unless they now have to declare a specific train? so when buying full fare ticket you cannot just hop on any train as before?

Anyway this is relevant to OP perhaps - buying a full fare ticket with full flexibility for just 18 euros more could be priceless.

Dank u wel!
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
dank u - I like to keep up with these things - all things about train fares - one more question if you have time - you say each IC train is capacity controlled - does that include a seat reservation now - I thought on trains not requiring reservations people with full fare tickets could take any train - not sure how railways would know how many fully flexible ticket holders would be on each train unless they now have to declare a specific train? so when buying full fare ticket you cannot just hop on any train as before?

Anyway this is relevant to OP perhaps - buying a full fare ticket with full flexibility for just 18 euros more could be priceless.

Dank u wel!

You can take any train. There are no reserved seats on the International IC. (Years ago, Dutch railways tried this with Fyra: the train and the ticketing system were big disasters)
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 05:36 AM

So there is no such thing as a full train? Thanks for taking time to respond. Prost!
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 06:30 AM

If you buy a ticket for an Intercity train, you can take any train that day - no seat reservations. If it's too busy you'll have to stand. These tickets are cheaper if you buy them in advance (they go from 20 to 28 to 38 euro one-way for Amsterdam-Antwerp). I've never known the trains to be full. If it's rush hour you may have to stand though. There's no point in buying a flexible ticket, unless you are going to change the date of travel.

The Thalys is faster and more expensive than the IC, but the ticket has to be used for the train that you booked. On Thalys you will have a reserved seat.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This is going to be a big trip for us! Chicago to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Brugge, then a day in Brussels, then fly out from Brussels to Berlin! I've already book all the airfares but the trains were a little more challenging!
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 09:02 AM

1st class fares I believe are discounted to for Amsterdam-Antwerp-Bruges trains and those trains can be crowded as locals above say but 1st class would be less likely to be full and there is more room for luggage as first class cars have fewer seats in same-size carriages than 2nd and are often less full - 1st class may not cost much more and could be well worth it IMO.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
1st class fares I believe are discounted to for Amsterdam-Antwerp-Bruges trains and those trains can be crowded as locals above say but 1st class would be less likely to be full and there is more room for luggage as first class cars have fewer seats in same-size carriages than 2nd and are often less full - 1st class may not cost much more and could be well worth it IMO.

There is no discount of 1st class fares on the Intl IC to Brussels. But the suggestion to go part of the way 1st class is a very good one.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:29 AM

Yes, strongly consider first class - virtually guaranteeing empty seats whereas boarding at Antwerp some trains may be quite full in 2nd class already.