Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam to Bruges - best direct way to travel

Apr 7th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

We arrive in Amsterdam by plane at 10:15 am on a Monday and need to get to our hotel in Bruges the same day. There are 4 seniors travelling and want to know the best and most reasonable way to get there.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Only need one-way travel.
Apr 7th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Best way is via train via Rotterdam and Antwerp to Bruges. Fastest is by Thalys train to Antwerp then connecting IC train to Bruges- takes about 3 hours all told I believe.Book Thalys trains as soon as you can (90-120 days ahead max I believe) for seriously discounted fares and fastest travel times. Book Thalys to Antwerp Centraal - changing there to hourly IC trains to Bruges.

And check ABS - Any Belgian Station fare where in conjunction with an international arrival on Thalys trains (like from Netherlands) you can travel within 24 hours of your Thalys arrival in Antwerp to go on any train to Bruges. (could stop over in Antwerp up to 24 hours - a neat city consider throwing bags in station locker and looking around!)-

https://www.thalys.com/be/en/offers-...elgian-station

The ABS fare can make Amsterdam-Bruges really cheap if you get a deep discounted Thalys ticket to Antwerp buy booking really early.

There are no seat reservations even possible on Antwerp to Bruges train I believe so just hop on any train and as most of these probably start in Antwerp no problem getting a seat. Thalys tickets come with a mandated seat reservation.

For lots on trains check www.seat61.com - sage advice about booking your own discounted tickets online; general info like 1st v 2nd cla (1st class tickets discounted too and there is a significant difference) - www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.

And while changing trains be sure to check out Antwerp's Centraal Station - a Railway Cathedral locals call it, an Art Nouveau wonder in and out.
Apr 7th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Was hoping there might be a shuttle or something since we will have our luggage. Will check out the trains.
Apr 7th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Thalys trains serve Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - sorry thought you were looking for trains. I doubt if there is an regular Schiphol-Bruges shuttle but of course you always can find some kind of car transport.

If trains go first class for more available luggage space typically. There are luggage carts for bags from Schiphol where you land to trains and in Antwerp for changing from train to train.

Hopefully someone will know about private cars- best would be a cadr waiting for you at Schiphol -most reasonable cost-wise the train by far I would think.