Train Florence to Paris

Apr 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Train Florence to Paris

I am looking for the best fare on an overnight train from Florence to Paris. I read that Trenitalia has a special Smart Price on the Artesia line. I've tried to navigate the site and am having difficulty getting the info regarding couchettes, prices, times, etc. Any advice you can give is appreciated. We need 2 seats in early June. Thanks,

Karen
Apr 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Maybe try www.raileurope.com? I've never used them, but it may help.
Apr 16th, 2007, 06:41 AM
ira

Hi B,

At www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html click "Smart Price".

You will find
"On the night trains leaving from Rome, Florence, Bologna, Venice and Milan: 35 euros for a couchette in 6-place compartment; 60 euros for a couchette in 4-place compartment".

Go back and click "international" for Firenze to Paris.

You want the 20:37 from Florence connecting in Milan. 75E pp.

Apr 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM

The night train goes from Firenze ("Florence") to Paris. You do not have to change in Milano or anywhere else. The train has no seats, only couchettes and sleepers. The cheapest accommodation is in a six-berth couchette compartment, a compartment with six bunk beds.
Apr 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to you all for your help!

Ira, I've followed your links and directions and the rate is 350 euros. I'm trying to book a couchette (6 bed) for 2 the night of June 3 from Florence to Paris. The 20:37 train looks great if we can can a seat for the Smart Price rate.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for helping me with this.
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
ira

Hi GH,

>The night train goes from Firenze ("Florence") to Paris. You do not have to change in Milano or anywhere else.<

I can't find that train.

Can you give details?

Apr 16th, 2007, 11:10 AM
ira

Hi Babbitt,

When you get to the page where you want to book your couchettes,

Change class from 1 to 2.
Enter the number of tickets.
Continue to the next page:
Change T3 sleeper to Couchettes
Continue to the next page
Click on the "Smart Price" fares to find the lowest one available.

Apr 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Many, many thanks! I found 2 Smart Price fares, 1 for 70 euros, the other 50 euros. We'll save over $200 by booking this way and may even get the couchette for 4 since it's reasonably priced! Since we have no Italian address, is it safe to use RailBest as stated and check in using the confirmation number?

Also, if you have an opinion about getting the 4 or 6 person couchette, please let me know. I'm traveling with my teenager (mother/daughter). My last Europe train trip was over 20 years ago and we had a 6 person couchette.

Thanks again,
Karen
Apr 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Just took this train in January and it leaves not from Firenze SMN but a secondary station Campo di Marte, which to me was better than hectic SMN and not far from the centre at all. And goes into Paris Bercy station, where there are metro connections but taxis were problematic - a queue of about thirty waiting for the odd taxi that seemed to roll by every few minutes - perhaps the same taxi going back and forth.
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help!
We would like to purchase our tickets for the overnight train from Florence to Paris but are having difficulty figuring out the best fare. We had hoped to buy the Smart Price tickets but it appears as though they are sold out. Is there any way I can see what the best fare is? We want to travel June 3 on the 20:37 train with couchette 4 or 6 beds 2nd class.

If there are only full price fares, would it be best to wait till we get to Italy?

This is my first time using this site and I'm confused on how to tell the best seat prices.

Thanks for your help!
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Well you should at least check RailEurope if you can't navigate the trenitlia.com site. Sometimes surprisingly competitive as they have some advance purchase only fares - i always recommend BETS (800-441-2387) for any RailEurope product for their sheer expertise and lack of some of RE's mailing fees. Try trenitalia.comfor sure as that will give you the best prices but if can't do try RE - to show up in Paris and buy a ticket could be much much more expensive.
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM

I believe the Smart fares for Artesia have to be booked at least 14 days in advance. Could you e-mail your hotel and have them book it for you?

Another option is to fly Easy Jet from Pisa to Paris. Flights on June 3 are 125E each and leave Pisa at 20:50 arrives Paris at 22:30. Pisa airport is about an hour by train from Florence which should cost about 5E. If you could leave June 4, the flights are 40E per person and leave at 14:40 or a later flight at 20:50. If you choose Easy Jet, be sure to abide by their check-in and luggage policies. Terravision offers a shuttle bus service from Florence to the Pisa airport for 8E per person if you didn't want to train. http://www.terravision.eu/florence_pisa.html#

www.easyjet.com
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi Babbitt,

Trenitalia is acting up this morning and won't even show your train.

Go to www.voyages-sncf.com.

2 tickets in a 2cl couchette are 160E.

They will mail your tickets to your Florence address.

Apr 27th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much again!

Ira, am I able to book using the www.voyages-sncf.com website in English? I'm having difficulty maneuvering through and would like to book this train asap. My son knows French and could help me later, but I'm guessing I can't find the English button.

Thanks again!
Karen
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM

I'm not Ira but I can answer this. Scroll down the page and near the bottom you'll find flags, click the Great Britain flag and the screen will repaint in English.
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I just checked both sncf.com and trenitalia.com. If you are able to complete the registration process on the Trenitalia site (problematic for many), you'll get the best fares there. SNCF shows 80 EUR (Depart) and 110 EUR (Flexi 2) for the six-person couchette and 135 EUR for the four-person couchette. Trenitalia shows a Smart Price 2 fare of 35 EUR for the six-person couchette and a Smart Price fare of 60 EUR for the four-person couchette. IMO, the extra space and comfort of a four-person couchette is worth the extra money.
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:42 AM

One more thing. Do NOT wait until you get to Italy to book this train. Night trains often sell out well in advance.
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for bearing with me! I'm on the sncf site now in English but am unable to get the price. I am signed in and need help getting through to the pricing and purchase. We need 2 tickets traveling the night train from Firenze to Paris Bercy leaving on June 3.

I truly appreciate your guidance. The trenitalia site states the discounted smart price tickets are sold out on this train and I'd like to book asap the best price or we may fly if it's significantly less expensive.

Thanks again,
Karen
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I just went back to the SNCF site and was able to get the price so I could describe the booking process for you. However, be aware that if you want to pick up your tickets in Italy, SNCF will only mail them to an Italian address (like your hotel). You cannot pick them up at the station unless you book with Trenitalia.

Officially, if you book online, SNCF does not mail tickets to the US. However, if you book by phone, they will. Here is how to call the SNCF English-speaking number. Dial 011 (US international access code) + 33 (country code for France) + 8-92-35-35-37.
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

TimS,

Thanks again for helping.

I think I will call since this may be easiest. Can you tell me the price of the best rate so I know to ask for it? Is there a special name for it?

Karen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO