train feasible from San G to Florence?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Emily

train feasible from San G to Florence?

We will be staying in San Gimignano and would like to make at least one full day trip into Florence. I have been to FLO twice, but hubby has not, so want to hit the main attractions for his sake.

We are staying in the center of town at La Cisterna. How easily accessible is the train in San G to the city center? And, how easy is the trip into Florence? Is there just one main train station in Florence where we get off to see the "highlights"? I think I read it takes about 45min via train? Also, does anyone know how much it costs?

Thanks in advance!

Emily

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Kathy

Emily,

When I was in Florence this past April, I took a day trip into San Gimignano by bus. The SITA bus station in Florence is right next to the train station in Florence. The SITA bus station in San Gimignano is closer to the center of town than the train station. The SITA bus runs very frequently, at least one per hour. Note: there are two kinds of buses. The "rapido" bus gets you there in about an hour and 15 minutes and the other bus, which is slightly slower, takes about 1 3/4 hours. I think my fare was about 6.50 Euro each way. Make sure to validate your bus ticket, too. You can do it on the bus.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
MML

Just did a day trip from San G. to Florence. Definitely follow Kathy's advice and take the SITA bus. I believe there is one bus transfer in a small town that begins with a "P" (I can't remember). It is a very simple and relatively short bus ride -- approximately 45 minutes.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:53 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Emily, There is no train service to San Gim. Take the bus to Poggibonsi and continue by bus or get the train there.
The stazione in Florence is easy walking to most of the main attractions.
How did you happen to pick San Gim. to stay without knowing the options to Florence? Have the risotto con porcini at La Cisterna. Good luck !

Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:55 PM
Emily

Well I goofed. I should have said that we also have a rental car for our entire trip so one other option is to drive somewhere and then train, or drive all the way to Florence. I know driving and parking in FLO can be a challenge, so thought taking the train would be better. With that in mind, still recommend the bus? Or, driving to Poggibonsi and then take train? Not sure if you can park at train station in Poggibonsi...

Thanks Bob for the risotto recommendation at La Cisterna- yum! My mouth is watering thinking about it!

Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:26 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Emily, With a car there is a simple answer. Take the super strada right smack into Florence---follow your nose and do not try to drive around--and follow signs for the"stazione" There is a big parking garage there--park and walk. No problem--have fun !

Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:39 AM
Emily

Thanks again Bob. Any idea approx how long the drive via the autostrada takes? And, what about the cost to park in Florence at the place you mentioned? If you had the choice to drive to Florence and park, take the bus as suggested, or drive to Poggibonsi and then train, which would you choose? Thanks again!