Train de la Rhune

Search

Train de la Rhune

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2024, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train de la Rhune

Does anyone know much about the Train de la Rhune? We are doing a bike trip soon and in the original itinerary it said we would take the train one of the days. Now the bike guy is saying it's not part of the bike itinerary, but since we ride past there we could take it. However the Train de la Rhune website says there is no bike parking where you get the train, and I have noticed that most people book in advance. It might be tricky to know what time we would get there when we are unfamiliar with the route.
Has anyone been there recently and noticed if there is a place you could lock bikes? How long does it take to go up and come back down? What do you do at the top besides admire the views? Thank you for any info!
Old May 25th, 2024, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Not at all the same, but I just took the Train de la Baie de Somme and they had an entire car devoted to transporting bikes and strollers. Wouldn't the train de la Rhune have this? It's important for these tourist trains.
Old May 25th, 2024, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I checked the website and it says they don't have parking for bikes and they don't let you bring a bike in the train.
Old May 25th, 2024, 02:35 PM

It's mainly for the ride and the view. How often do you have the opportunity to take a cog RR? You could also walk down if you have the time. But obviously bicycle security is an issue.

Old May 25th, 2024, 11:52 PM

I often climb the small col leading to the station. What do you mean by a place to lock bikes? You could lock them to a post. The place is so busy that I can't imagine thieves trying to break the locks in full view of the crowd.
Alternatively, if you are interested in walking down, you could leave the bikes in Sare or Ascain, take the bus to the station, ride up with the train and walk down (the paths are much better than the one going to the station).

The big issue will be to book a ride. It is essential in high season on a clear day.
Old May 26th, 2024, 05:42 AM

Rouelan,I thought that you had mentioned that the path walking down wasn’t in very good condition and that one should have walking poles. Am I remembering that correctly?

I would take the train, and have done so, if assured as much as possible of a sunny day so as to enjoy the views atop the mountain.And most certainly purchase tickets online in advance! As rouelan notes, this train draws huge crowds.
Old May 26th, 2024, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Maribel
Rouelan,I thought that you had mentioned that the path walking down wasn’t in very good condition and that one should have walking poles. Am I remembering that correctly?
yes you do !

Since I posted it, I hiked between Sare and col des 3 fontaines. It is part of the GR 10 and it is much better (no steep parts, no erosion).

Last edited by rouelan; May 26th, 2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old May 26th, 2024, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rouelan
yes you do !

Since I posted it, I hiked between Sare and col des 3 fontaines. It is part of the GR 10 and it is much better (no steep parts, no erosion).
Glad my memory wasn’t faulty😀 Got it, thanks.