Train at Christmas

Nov 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Train at Christmas

I have a friend who travels Italy a lot who recommends us making train reservations for the Christmas holiday. We've only traveled in Europe during spring and summer before now. He says the Europeans travel at Christmas like we do and that we need reservations. We'll be traveling from Munich to Vienna, to Salzburg and Florence during the holidays. Have you ever had problems with seats on the train during Christmas holidays? We have Eurail passes for first class. What do you think? Do I need reservations more that 2-3 days in advance?
Nov 16th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Dec 20-23rd are peak times, from 24th afternoon to 26 very little traffic. Moderate until new year, increasing again until the 6th of January. But nothing like the week before christmas. 1st class isn't really a problem, the vast majority travels in 2nd class.
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, logos. Do you think their peak Christmas travel is any worse than peak summer travel? We've always been able to get reservations a day or so ahead during the summer months. I just don't really want to do the reservations online. I guess just because I never have before. Has anyone else made train reservations online ahead of time?
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM

At least everyone in Germany, visits the parents for christmas. The days after Christmas are a little more relaxed, (but not really empty trains like from the 24th, late afternoon to 26th).

I'd either reserve a seat on those peak days before Christmas or stand. There will be additional trains during that period to cope with the masses. But you may well end up standing, if you don't reserve.
Yes, it's worse than in summer.

But maybe GDL is still on strike
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Ditto logos999.

My only Christmas train experience in Italy was Bari to Rome years ago. I think it was two days before Christmas. I was glad to have a reservation and had to boot someone out of my 1st class seat. People were sitting on their luggage in the aisles so it was a challenge to even get to the toilet.