Which European city for Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and our 5 month old son are planning to go to a European city for Christmas. What city would you recommend? (We plan on spending Christmas Day there and staying on for about 6 days.)We are gearing more towards a city because of having our son with us (easier), but are not adverse to day trips from a city by train or driving. (We have beem to Paris, Rome,Florence,London, Dublin, Munich, Prague, Krakow, Vienna, Oslo--but not on Christmas or at Christmas-time.)
Thanks for your feedback!
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Edinburgh if you're staying for New Year. In the run up to the 1st there are a lot of activities on, and a day trip to Santa Claus at Aviemore by train would be nice.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Spent last Christmas in Barcelona with my husband, daughter, and my parents. We had fun - it is a very festive and lively town, mild weather, tons to do and some fun Christmas traditions (beating the yule log and the sh*tters).

Most Christmas markets in Germany end on the 23 or 24th - some earlier - so if you've heard of them and thought it would be neat to see one (they are VERY festive)... check the dates. I was about to suggest one, then remembered that...

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:38 PM

One good thing about Paris at Christmas (we were there last year) is that because it's such a secular society, some museums are actually open on Christmas Day. We thought it was a great time to be in "the city of lights".
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:48 PM

We stayed in Prague for Christmas 2000 and really enjoyed it. Their primary Christmas celebration is Christmas Eve night, and although much of the Christmas market is still active for a couple of days after Christmas, it's best if you're there a few days before. More information on this trip can be found at www.cp-tel.net/war/ta/pra

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 10:35 PM

So far Paris has been the most exciting city for Christmas, for us, but there are many others in Europe to choose from, depending on what you are looking for. Some celebrate the more traditional Christian holiday, while others are more secular in nature, but none-the-less exciting.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

We are now considering Switzerland--either Zurich or Geneva. Thoughts on either city--which is better, etc. in regards to food, art/culture, hotels and "walking city" status. Thanks!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM

I would avoid Zurich.

Everything closes mid day Dec 24. And Dec 25 & 26 are holidays with everything closed.

The following week is similar with closings Dec 31 with Jan 1 & 2 as holidays.

It is very quiet, and can be depressing if you do not have friends or family to visit. You may be stuck in your hotel watching CNN.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:49 AM

It can only be London, it has enough sites, theatres, restraunts, musueems,etc,etc to last a lifetime
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:24 AM

I agree that Zurich would not be a great choice. It would almost certainly be cold, rainy and very quiet. You should chose someplace that doesn't totally close down on public holidays.
We have spent Christmas day in Vienna, and it was magic. No snow, but the lights and decorations around St Stephens square were magic. I booked tickets to the Vienna Boy's choir for Christmas afternoon, which was UNFORGETTABLE!! (in a good sense!)

I also agree with the above posters about Paris: the lights along the Champs Elysee after dark, and all the festive strollers made it a magical experience. We had Christmas lunch at the Jules Verne in the Eiffel tower, which was brilliant, albeit eye wateringly expensive. We still talk about that Christmas 15 years later.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Hello All,

Well, I now think I may have to put Zurich and/or Geneva on the back burner for another time. I have gotten and read mostly negative feedback on going there for Xmas. Too bad... I was looking forward to it. Is it really such a bad choice as a Christmas destination? (I was really looking forward to visiting a *new* European city.)

We are now deciding between Paris or London. Please give me your thoughts--especially regarding what each city might be like on Xmas Eve and Day and Boxing Day (closed down, transportation, museums or restaurants being open, etc.) Thanks!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Can't say for Paris, but for London almost everything and i really mean everything would comes to a standstill. To the very least, there would be very limited transportation on Christmas Day. The only advantage is probably having the whole Trafalgar Square for yourself, provided you could make your way there.

Was in London in 1998 & 1999 and I must say the Christmas lightings was pathetic. The best Christmas lightings I have seen so far are in Paris and Singapore.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:27 PM

Vienna