Traffic violation

Search

Traffic violation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic violation

I just received a traffic violation from Italy five months after my visit. The charge is 92.45 euro and it says "the vehicle circulated in limited traffic area without authorization". I was in the Florence area. I am also being charged $70 to my credit card from the car rental agency on this month's statement. Not sure what that charge is for but am thinking it must be related. Has anyone had this happen to them?
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:05 AM

probably lots of people have, especially tourists who drive in foreign countries and don't know the language or the traffic signs.

It means you were driving in a restricted area where you weren't allowed to be. This probably means an area where only local residents with stickers are allowed to drive. They have places like that in France, also, there are signs about it. It's similar to neighborhoods around where I live where nonresidents aren't allowed to park on the streets during certain times or for too long. You need to get a permit to put on your car if you live there.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The fine and the fee from the rental agency are different things.

The fine is what you owe for the infraction. You can pay it or not - I personally would.

The $70 on your credit card is what the rental agency charges for teh administrative cost of providing your information/address to the Italian authorities.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM
ira

Hi R,

You were caught driving where you shouldn't have been by a camera or a policeman.

The authorities notified the rental agency, who gave them your particulars.

The rental agency is charging you a whopper of an "administrative fee".

Who was it?

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It may seem high - but I think $70 is about average. We've had reports on here of $60 to $75 to pay for providing the info.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Does anyone know how the signs read for a road that is closed to non residents in France?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM

"Does anyone know how the signs read for a road that is closed to non residents in France?"

You will see a road sign barring access and underneath it will say "Sauf les riverains". Which means: no entry except for residents.

Anselm
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Thank you!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM

This just happened to us. Avis only charged $8 or so for providing the information.

We drove the car once on the day the fine was incurred -- from the garage out of town (not fined), from out of town back to the garage (that's when the violation allegedly occurred). We told the hotel we had the car gave them the tag number and they assured us we were allowed to go to and from the rental agency garage. We had a wee bit of trouble getting back to the garage -- every street we wanted to turn on was under construction -- so I assume we somehow wandered into a forbidden zone.

You can call between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. (a bit inconvenient), and I am going to do so. But I have a feeling it will do no good at all.

el
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Several months after our trip to Germany in 2006, I received a letter from Avis saying that we would be receiving a ticket from the German authorities for speeding near Karlsruhe on such and such a date. Avis charged our credit card about 10 Euros for providing them with our information. Well, we waited and waited and waited but received nothing from the German authorities on this matter.

We again rented from Avis (thru gemut.com) for our trip in September 2007 and wondered if anything would be said about this so called traffic infraction. Nada, nothing, zero was ever said. I guess somebody decided not to persue the matter further.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Traffic violations expire after 3 months in Germany.
The authorities have 3 months to issue and send you the ticket. If they cannot do it in that time frame, it cannot be enforced.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Hi

I got a couple of parking tickets when I went to the US once. Actually I got two in one night: one for blocking other parked cars which was not a problem as the other cars where guests at the same hotel and I had left a note in the car. And the other was for having a wheel on the sidewalk...I just tried to get the car out of the way I think I got these tickets on an early Sunday morning so I was a bit annoyed. But I did my duty and paid the tickets

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks, Cowboy, that explains it!
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM

Hello,

We just received a ticket also from Florence Italy for "vehicle circulated in limited traffic area without authorization" almost 6 months later. Ticket is 92.45 euro and have not yet received charge from car rental company. This seems outrageous to us that we are getting this now with no defense possible. It's not like we were caught speeding or received a parking ticket. This is an expensive matter. Any advice or help from anyone who has explored ways in which this does not have to be paid would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM

I received a ticket from Florence, 11 months after the alleged infraction; here is the discussion that ensued:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34910966

My credit card was never charged.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM

Lots of tickets are expensive matters. They are very expensive where I live also, some parking tickets can be more than $70 US. I fail to see why you think some laws are okay to be broken and others would be okay to pay (like a parking ticket).

What defense can there be if you did it?

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 06:16 AM

I finally just gave up and paid the fine. I could argue all day long that it wasn't my fault that we were in a restricted zone, but they did send me a picture of the car's tag with a date and time and we were definitely there -- we just didn't know it was a restricted zone and we were so lost it wouldn't have mattered if we did. I do want to go back to Italy some day and rent a car, and I didn't want to worry about this somehow interfering.

el
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 06:38 AM

ekscrunchy, thanks very much for the reply and pointing me to the discussions you had about it. Wow, lot's of differing views but good information and some entertainment too, none the less. In short, I will definitely ask for the photo and call the car rental co. Thanks again!

Christina, by no defense, I mean I had no idea we were in violation, a camera took our picture (to be proved) in an area that a tourist was trying his law abiding/ good humanitarian best to be safe and courteous and can't read the local street signs (if) they were posted. That's euro's not dollars we are talking about! I think for this type of infraction, european governments should consider a warning at first followed by a reduced fine for 2nd violation, then full price for the fore warned. I got to feel this is penny wise and dollar foolish on the governments behalf. I feel this is almost on the level of harassment and certainly doesn't encourage tourism which is where the real money is.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 06:54 AM

One more observation. Now knowing this type of violation is possible, how can I possibly prevent it from happening again short of learning how to read the local language of the country I'm traveling in? This is definite cause for slight paranoia when driving a rental car around in these countries. I mean if I don't know what to look for whose to say I couldn't rack up 3-4 of these violations on a trip? 4x 92.45 euro plus car rental fees ($60-75) on top = $800.00!!!!!!!! Europe just got even more expensive to travel to. That's a shame cause I love europe. I don't think my example is that far fetched. What's to prevent governments keep introducing new violation laws to keep this cash cow flowing? I'm a little pissed just thinking about all this. That's all I have to say.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM

To the folks who got notices in the mail: were they regular post or were they certified letters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -