Traffic from LHR to Central London

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Eugene

Traffic from LHR to Central London

How much traffic should we expect to encounter traveling from LHR to Centra London (Thistle Marble Arch) around 9 or 10 a.m. on Friday? <BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Snoopy

Maybe Ben Haines will spot this and give you a more up to date response. But I have stayed at the SAS Portman Square several times and it has taken on average 45-60 minutes to get there from Heathrow by cab. I travelled between Copenhagen and London fairly frequently and the BA flight that I took arrived at Heathrow at about 8:30am.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:28 PM
xxxxx

Do you want the number of individual cars? buses too!!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:09 PM
janis

The traffic is basically really bad ANY time in London. I get there once or twice a year and the traffic is significantly worse every trip. My last trip in early Dec was the worst traffic I have ever experienced in London. Basically grid locked on even small roads I used to use regularly. Ther is no way to estimate you travel time by road because a small fender bender or road works can mess up things for a couple of hours.<BR><BR>Count on a minimum of 45 minutes to the center - but it could take twice that.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Frank

Starting next month, isn't there going to be some sort of toll to enter central London. I thought it was Monday to Friday in an area bound by Old St., Kings Cross Station, Hyde Park (but not as far as Kensington), etc. I don't know the details.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:11 AM
PatrickW

Yes, from Feb 17. Details at www.cclondon.com (but this site is of course mainly aimed at Londoners). The hope is that it will reduce the volume of traffic in the centre by about 10-15% and raise a lot of money to improve public transport (eventually). But it's anyone's guess what effect this will have on the boundaries, or further out, or while people get used to it, or whether indeed the enforcement technology will work well enough for people to comply with it.<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Nigel Doran

Traffic will likely be heavy. Even after 17th Feb, which is when the congestion charge kicks in whose effect is predicted to reduce traffic volume by 15% - 20%, it will still be poor. <BR>Get the Tube. It'll cost you less than &pound;5 and will take you to Marble Arch. Pack light to avoid escalator/stair woes and you'll arrive within 60 - 70 mins. of boarding the train. (A lot of the journey is above ground, so it's not like some long, dark tunnel all the way.) You take the Piccadilly Line to Earls Court, change to the District or Circle Line to Notting Hill, then change to the Central Line to Marble Arch. Or get the Heathrow Express to Paddington, take the District or Circle Line to Notting Hill and then the Central Line to Marble Arch. (The H Express is quite expensive, with a single ticket costing &pound;12 or so, but it only takes 15 - 20 mins.)

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:29 AM
kate

Nigel, I'm afraid I completely disagree with you.<BR><BR>The tube at that time (rush hour) will be a nightmare, and you certianly don't want changes with luggage.<BR><BR>Marble Arch is very close to Paddington. Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (15 min journey) and then a black cab to Marble Arch (5 min journey). Couldn't be simpler, faster and less stressful than car or tube at that time.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:51 AM
PatrickW

A cheaper alternative with perhaps less luggage-hauling, but still bound by traffic conditions, would be the A2 airbus direct from the airport to Marble Arch. Fare &pound;8 each

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Eugene

Thank you all for your helpful responses.<BR><BR>xxxxx, just cars will be fine, but I doubt you can count past 5.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Nigel Doran

Kate, <BR>The Heathrow Express is very fast and very convenient, but it is also expensive. Added to that, there are not always cabs on hand at Paddington. <BR>Your suggestion is more convenient, but also more expensive. <BR>Since most people over-pack, using the Tube is a great 'excuse' to keep luggage to a minimum. <BR>After 930, Tube congestion lessens as you will know.