Town midway between Paris and Aix-en-Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be doing a driving tour of France and Italy in October 2012. I need an interesting little French village or town that is midway driving distance between Paris and Aix-en-Provence. I was thinking first of Lyon, but that is way too big. I'm thinking more quaint but interesting. Please help! Thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:44 PM

I would skip the driving from Paris to Aix and take the TGV. Long, boring, expensive ride. Once you get to Aix you'll have plenty of opportunities to drive around to "quaint" towns.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM

I agree. Driving is boring, gas is expensive, and you miss all the gorgeous scenery you can catch on the train. Plus, you can get lost. Also, the train will get you there much faster! European trains are so nice. We took a trip from Paris to Florence on the train and we will never forget the gorgeous alps we passed through. Sorry, don't mean to be so critical. Just trying to point out some alternatives.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stopped in charming Beaune for a few days between Paris and Provence.
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM

If you are driving "direct" between Paris and Aix without taking a few days to investigate little towns/villages etc then I totally agree with the taking the train suggestion. I have taken it a few times and it is SO efficient, quick, easy and if you buy on line early - cheap.

There will be plenty of hire car places in Aix, so instead of spending a night along the way take the train, have a night in Aix and then get the car and see all the pretty villages your hearts desire in Provence!!

If you are determined to drive then I second the Beaune suggestion. This is only my opinion of course, you must do what you feel best.
Schnauzer
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

We were planning on doing a night in between, but I take it that Provence has more places to explore than in between. We were already going to spend 2 nights in Aix. So should I plan on spending 3 and explore the area more or what? That's why I'm asking questions! We plan on returning whatever rental we get (4 adults) in Rome. If we pick it up in Aix will that be a problem?
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Yes, that will be a problem unless an extra $500 or so fee doesn't bother you. It would be a problem picking it up in Paris and dropping it off in Rome, too. You need to rent a separate car in Italy.If you're asking a general question about picking up a rental car in Aix, no, you can pick up a car in every city, and many towns, in France.

Three nights in Provence is hardly a glimpse in itself, so I certainly wouldn't shave it down by one by stopping on the way. You need all the time you can get, which is another reason the train's a far better idea.