Notices

Paris to Provence Drive

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:56 PM
HC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Provence Drive

I'm planning to drive from Paris to Provence. Would like to visit some nice places on the way (between Paris and Provence). Any recommendations? Thanks, HC
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:08 PM

How many days? What is your destination?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:18 PM

Between Paris and Provence, the train would be the best. It is fast ( 3hrs ) whereas the drive is long, costy and you will not be alone on the road...
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:01 PM

If you have the time, the drive is fun and lovely.

We stopped in Chablis (just for the afternoon), then spent the night and the next morning in and around Beaune. We spent a second night en route, this time in Tournon-sur-Rhone, and then made it to Provence on the third day.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
HC
Original Poster

Am taking 6 days (including the journey from Paris and back). Would like to spend only 1 day somewhere in between the journey from Paris to Provence. Planning to go Avignon first. Maybe Luberon next. Any advice?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:05 PM

I'm planning a similar drive, possible in the reverse direction (sun behind me). I'm going via the Gorges du Tarn (St Enimie, St Chely-du-Tarn) and the Dordogne, then through Oradour-sur-Glane, St Benoit-du-Sault, Anles-sur-l'Anglin, and lastly the Loire Valley.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
HC
Original Poster

How many days will you be using for this trip?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:26 AM

Six days in all? Getting to Provence by train is so easy and quick--and there is so much that is charming to see in Provence. I would spend all my time there instead of hopscotching, AND driving the autoroutes.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:34 AM

While I made this drive 10 years ago, and I believe there are more autoroute level roads now, I agree with Gretchen that it is a tedious drive. When we did it we stopped in Beaune.

The TGV is a marvelous resource. It can whisk you to Lyon, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence leaving time to explore Provence.

Good luck.

Anthony
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Tedious? Driving in France? I should add (to my above post) that the itinerary I described will take 2-3 weeks and there won't be a tedious kilometre in it. But then, I don't do autoroutes. I don't see the sense in spending all that money to go to a foreign and excitingly different country, and spend whole days zooming along autoroutes from which the view is hardly different to that from any motorway back home. For me it's the D roads - maybe an N road now and then - where you pass through (and stop at?) all the wonderful little villages along the way. As I said, there ain't a km of France that is 'tedious' if done that way.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:14 AM

That is why I suggested getting on to Provence for the "length of time the poster said he had" and enjoy the back roads. He doesn't have 3 weeks.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:05 PM

I agree, I would take the train to Montpelier and pick up up your vehicle there. Much easier and a piece of cake, cause the rental cars are right there. I suggest staying at a Logis d'France throughout your trip. Use AutoEurope to book or check other rates.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:59 PM

While Montpellier's a great place, the OP said she wanted to go to Provence, and the TGV gets you to Avignon in under 3 hours. The drive from Montpellier to Provence isn't a whole lot of fun.

If you have only 6 days total, by all means take the TGV to Avignon and pick up your car there.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Much as I love France, and especially the province, I could easily think of several km stretches that aren't thrilling. Sounds like a whole new thread.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM

HC took the train from Paris to Monteplier and got our car there. Drove to the Languedoc area of Herault it took us about one hour and that included a couple of wrong turns this region is the oldest wine growing region in France and the little town is wonderful. We were based at the Logis d' France and did day trips everyday and then when we returned we had a dip in the pool or went along the creek for a walk and the rest. was superb. The sunflowers, vineyards, lavender fields and olive groves are fantastic. In the town there was co-op and a wonderful place to pick up the local wine, food stuffs and the olive oil, also locally made soaps, herbs, etc. This was truly the Provence experience and to be able to go in to town and pick up some bread, cheese and fruit, well I could go on and on.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:46 AM

islandgirl, your trip sounds great. What is the name of the small town you stayed in?
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM

It is 528 km from cdg to Lyon. I know, because I drove it and it is a long drive! We tried to meander somewhat throughout Burgundy, but if you are truly headed to Provence then take the TGV to Avignon and pick up a rental car at the train station. We did this on the return to Paris and it was so much easier than the long drive down...
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM

For only six days, I would also go to Avignon and pick up your car that you will rent from the states because it will cost less. Provence is too full of riches to share a day elsewhere before you arrive. Save the other areas for another time.
mimi, whose heart sings in Provence.