Tours in Italy - what do you recommend

May 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Tours in Italy - what do you recommend

Hi - I am a 24 year old woman who would like to take a tour of Italy. I will be traveling alone and am focusing on Rome and Florence. I would like to go for about a week. I would like to go in the fall. Any tips, ideas and suggestions are very welcome!! Thanks
May 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Tours usually don;t spend so much time in only 2 places. You might want to consider a package instead (air, hotels, transfer and usually 1/2 day city tour). You could add more day trips - or a trip into Tuscany to those if you want. I believe Gate 1 does this type of package.

Or you might just do such a simple trip yourself.
May 10th, 2010, 09:14 PM

A one-week Florence and Rome tour is tough to find. You might try this company or contact a local travel agent to book you a fly/hotel package and you can take walking tours in Italy when you arrive.

http://www.gate1travel.com/italy-tra...lrromrs10.aspx
May 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Italy is very do-able completely on your own. Of course, if you're looking to be with a group, then an organized tour would be the better choice, but personally, I always want to be in complete charge of my own vacations.
May 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM

I agree that you can do it on your own. Take a look at the Viatour listings of tours in each city (day, half-day). This will give you an idea of what is available. You can pick and choose what you want to do. Viatour is a consolidator. You don't have to book with them but they do have a very good listing of what is available in the cities.
Rome and Florence are only 1.5 hours apart by train.
You can also book a room for a single in a hotel. However, it is usually not substantially more to get a double room and that is more space (rooms are typically small).
Many travelers go it alone. You can eat, shop, walk alone with no problem. A week is not much time to do the two cities so you will be very busy!
I would suggest looking at the suggested itineraries on the Fodor's and Frommer's websites (or get the books). That will give you an idea. You could book some short guided tours (i.e. the Vatican) and also do some sightseeing on your own.
The short tours that we have been on have always had a mix of people and all very friendly.
May 14th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much this is great information!!
May 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Definitely a vote from me to do it all on your own. You can go at your own pace, set your own itinerary and change it as you get swept away in a certain place. Just research the things you'd like to do and see and go from there. I did 23 days by myself a couple of years ago and had the best time. I just picked the places, found hotels and from there started planning out my days. I saw all the sights that I wanted to see, shopped, took cooking classes, took a bike trip from Florence into Tuscany for a day..(bit more of a workout than I had trained for!).

Ever since that trip, I've been dying to get back. This summer, I'm doing it again, this time 14 days with a friend and 13 on my own. This site allows you to tap into the number of experts here and everyone has been helpful answering any question I've come up with.
May 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Another vote for on your own...I have been 3 times. First for a study abroad for a month in Florence and we did a bunch of day trips on our own...then 2 family trips where my brother and I took my parents...I planned the whole itinerary on my own just with internet and this site and what I knew from before etc. Did it all with trains which I think is totally the best travel - it adds to the experience and the trains are fantastic. Just start printing out or jotting down ideas you see and make yourself a basic itinerary so you have an idea waht is important or not important to you and then you can adjust while your there as you wish. My last two trips were in late Fall (right after thanksgiving)...post questions and everyone will help.

Fun suggestions: in Florence there is a little town nearby called Fiesole - we spent an afternoon walking there and back when I was a student...you could also take a bus one way or both. Pisa is worth a quick stop but you will likely just see the tower and leave. Seeing the David in Florence was something I almost skipped my first trip but was so glad I made a little time for it.

In Rome- there is a cool little bone chapel that I happened upon near where I stayed...totally worth a quick stop - short walk from Spanish Steps near a square whose name escapes me but i think starts with a B. (I can figure it out if need be. I have done Collaseum 2x (once with a guide and once without)...that is one place where splurging for a guided tour was SO worth it. Also try and have one day to do the Vatican and the Museums with the Sistene Chapel - awesome.

I actually typed a day by day itinerary for my parents so they could get excited about it and would be happy to share if you think it would help...just give me an email to send it to...
May 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM

The 'bone chapel' in Rome is the Capuchin Crypt.
May 14th, 2010, 11:02 AM

That's the one! Thanks MFNYC ... I enjoyed stumbling on that one
Feb 15th, 2011, 06:54 AM

To kellymp - I would love to have a copy of that itinerary you created for your parents. My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in April next year. Please send it to [email protected] Thank you.
Feb 15th, 2011, 07:15 AM

I just want to say that my first trip to Europe was when I was 24 and I did it on my own and it was the most liberating, confidence building experience of my life. Yup, its a bit scary, and awkward the first time you eat by yourself but it is soo rewarding.

Bring a book or a journal for meals alone - dont skip restaurant eating just because you are solo - you get used to it and it is also very liberating!

You will likely meet people your own age.

I highly recommend it!
Feb 15th, 2011, 07:15 AM

I just want to say that my first trip to Europe was when I was 24 and I did it on my own and it was the most liberating, confidence building experience of my life. Yup, its a bit scary, and awkward the first time you eat by yourself but it is soo rewarding.

Bring a book or a journal for meals alone - dont skip restaurant eating just because you are solo - you get used to it and it is also very liberating!

You will likely meet people your own age.

I highly recommend it!