Search

Tourism and War

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:05 PM
ChRLES

Tourism and War

Someone posted a very interesting query about the possibility of war interfering with tourist travel. I am very interested in that subject since we plan several trips this coming season. What happened to the post??? Does Fodors think that is a verboten subject??? Seems pretty pertinent to me.<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:10 PM
jj

Yea, the other thread got a little carried away but expect this thread to disappear soon too. There seems to be a Fodors person who shows up around 5pm EST and cleans out &quot;offensive&quot; posts.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:13 PM
sandi

Why is this subject 'offensive'? I think it is a real concern for those who love to travel, and don't want it spoiled, or who have worries about hostility, cancelled flights, attacks on Americans. Why is it offensive to wonder and ask. Fodor's, I am dissapointed in you. Thought this forum is to discuss travel issues and concerns.???

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:17 PM
sandy

It gets deleated because it always turns into a political shouting match. I guess there are a lot of strong emotions tied to this subject.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:17 PM
Think

Because it goes from an interesting query about travel during trying times into a political/bashing discussion. The political/bashing does not contribute to a travel site, now does it?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:20 PM
gmama

I am planning a trip to Paris in 10 days and am very interested in this also. However, I found that the previous responses to this question had turned into a bashing party with little helpful input

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:21 PM
xxx

Well, sometimes a political discussion is interesting and informative, especially with contributions from people in different countries.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:09 PM
xxx

It was clearly spelled out in the &quot;friendly reminder from Fodors&quot; message, currently taken down.<BR><BR>These purely political diatribes are never really about travel.<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:27 PM
x

There are many Travel Agents who visit and control this board. Does that answer your question?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:41 PM
Rich

<BR><BR>I don't know how different this one will be from the last one, but I was living in Europe during the (first) Gulf War, and really did not see any interference with travel at all. There is sure to be demonstrations, but the last ones were not disruptive and I never felt uncomfortable.<BR><BR>Rich<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Julie

IMO I would feel safer in Europe than here (in U.S.) during a war, but I would want to be with my family and we don't all always travel together so that would be one of my concerns.<BR><BR>But political situations certainly have influenced my travelling decisions--I've wanted to go back to Israel for a long time and just don't feel comfortable about going there now. Hope this will change someday.