Toulouse to San Sebastian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am landing into Toulouse, France and then directly heading to San Sebastian, Spain to meet up with my parents. I have been trying to research and purchase a train ticket now before I get over there. My problem is that its difficult finding anyway to book a train ticket. Does anyone have any pointers or helpful insight to cathing up with my folks as quick as possible?
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:00 AM

As full fare tickets Toulouse-Hendaye only cost 38.50 euros, or about $50 in 2nd class why worry about buying in advance - minimal savings for all the hassle. Buy at station. There are direct trains Toulouse-Hendaye and these, not being TGV trains, do not require reservations so you can always board and should be empty seats - can make a reservation if like for 3 euros in France. At Hendaye get off and then take the commuter railway that goes to San Sebastian from the Hendaye station - or take a train from Hendaye to Irun, just over the Spanish border and then take the relatively few mainline Spanish trains that go from Irun to San Sebastian - these trains, however, often require reservations before boarding - better bet just to take the interurban train from Hendaye to San Sebastian - costing just a few euro.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM

There is a new Topo (EuskoTren) commuter rail service into San Sebastian-Donostia from the train station in Hendaye. The stop is located just outside of the station, on your right. The Topo makes 8 stops in Donostia, so you'll need to know where to get off.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM

And this Eusko train, run by the local Basque authorities is a much more interesting route and experience than the infrequent mainline trains. The Eusko train stops in several Basque villages en route to Donostia (Donostia is the Basque name - the Spanish San Sebastian is rather eschewed by the local Basques as are many things from the Spanish 'imperalists' as many Basques consider them - some schedules may only have Donostia in them and not the San Sebastian, but in fact they are the same place. On road signs it's not unusual to see the St Sebastian painted out and only the Donostia left - so to assauge local sentiments you may want to use the word Donostia as well. But anyway, this Eusko commuter train is a rather fascinating trip - visitors to Donostia should consider it as a great little day trip - get off at one of the totally untouristed Basque towns - the Eusko line also runs the other way from Donostia, to the west, and is similarly endearing.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

So to get from Toulouse to Hendaye, which sounds like the first leg, do I catch that at the Toulouse airport or should I walk, train or taxi to the station? How long is the trip from Toulouse to Hendaye?

I really appreciate all you assistance and help on this.

Reagrds!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Try sncf.com
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Toulouse-Hendaye direct trains take about 5 hours - several direct a day.