Paris to San Sebastian

Aug 9th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Paris to San Sebastian

my apologies if this has been answered (i've been searching ...) but what is the easiest and/or cheapest (and i know they're not always the same) way to get from paris to san sebastian? there does not seem to be a direct train - what is the most convenient connection? any ideas on doing it by air?

thanks!
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM

No no direct train because it's physically impossible for most trains to go thru the border because tracks in Spain are wider than those in France. thus always change at border - one exception the Elipsos 'Talgo' night trains that have wheel bases that can move in and out and thus run on both tracks. But you can take a direct train from Paris to Hendaye, French border town and from that station take a commuter train to nearby San Sebastian (often called by its Basque name Donostia) - alternatively you can change at the border to infrequent Hendaye/Irun (Spanish border town) - San Sebastian trains. (5.5 hours Paris-Hendaye via TGV.
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Don't know your plans when you arrive, but I would fly to Biarritz and rent a car....
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

PalQ - do you think my best alternative is to go to Hendaye? how often do the commuter trains run? what's the best way to get to Madrid from San Sebastian?
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM

the commuter trains run all the time - they take an intersting route thru Basque towns and deposit you near downtown San Sebastian. It's a dependably good way - otherwise go to Irun in Spain and if there is a convenient Spanish mainline train running to San Sebastian it would be good but there are only a few a day and they may require reservations before boarding. Best way to madrid is to take mainline Spanish trains from San Sebastian's RENFE - mainline station - there is also an overnight train. If doing this type of travel investigate the France-Spain railpass - details from BETS (800-441-2387) who i've bought passes from for years and highly recommend for their expertise.
Lv San Sebastian about 8:30 get to Madrid about 3pm for example but there are huge gaps between trains - not like in France where TGVs run about hourly. About the commuter trains - they are one class commuter trains but as they start in Hendaye you'll surely get seats but not as comfy as mainline trains - though far more interesting glimpsing the Basque towns they halt in and seeing Basques on the train. San Sebastian is a most interesting town!
Aug 9th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Don't remember the one we used..here are 2:

http://www.pariserve.com/cityrama
go to France tours and click on the Loire Valley Castle

http://www.paris-france-tours.com
you will find it with hotel pick up and deliver..it said 8 maximum..

You might find this an easier way to do it

Enjoy............