Search

Toulouse

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toulouse

I will be in a city near Toulouse in the fall. Can anyone tell me what this city is like and if it's woth a side trip? Thanks.

Sue
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Funny you should mention that, they just did a nice, long article about Toulouse in the Washington Post travel section today. It should be easy to find online on their web site, just go to Travel.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:31 PM

We lived there in 2001 and are going back to visit, finally, this month. My uncle has lived there since the 1970's, which is how we ended up there.

We traveled all over France, but I have a special spot in my heart for Toulouse. It is too often overlooked, but it is a wonderful city with tons of history and charm. It is gorgeous because of it being all brick, which is why it's nickname is the Pink City. I have loads of info on Toulouse...let me know what kinds of things you're interested in and I'll fill you in.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:36 AM
ira

> I will be in a city near Toulouse in the fall. Can anyone tell me what this city is like ...<

Not if you don't give us the name.

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:54 AM

We've visited Toulouse several times. I would put in my top 5 of large French cities that we've seen. It is really an "alive" city. Be there on a Saturnday night & it seems like everyone in town is out enjoying the evening. It's a city that does not get deserted when work hours end.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:16 PM

Topping for shopping. We won't be in Paris for this trip and I'd like to do some city shopping. My particular interests are kitchen wares and home accessories. I'd also like to look for home dec fabrics by the yard.

I often do well at the department stores in Paris, with the tourist discount and detaxe. I assume there are branches of Printemps and GL in Toulouse, but does anyone have any other tips for good neighborhoods or particularly favorite stores? TIA
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:58 PM

It is a very pretty city; although it has quite a "tight" centre. Most of the moderns shopping is around the Rue de Metz.

Just to the north of it is the main square, and on teh far side of that (still going north) you will find the tiny wee studenty type shops and boutiques.

Unless I'm shopping I find it's a good day out but for sight seeing, not more than that. But it's a nice city to be based in generally