Torino, Lake Orta, Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to plan a trip for April 2024. Two adults, two boys (10 and 13).

Fri Leave Boston
Sat Arrive Torino
Sun Torino
Mon Torino
Tues Lake Orta
Wed Lake Orta
Thu Lake Orta
Fri Venice
Sat Venice
Sun Venice
Mon Leave Venice
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 11:53 AM

Yes, we know. You told as so in your post of May 21st
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Any recommendations for where to stay? Or connections?
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Quad room? Apartment? Budget? Are you flying into Torino or into Milan?

I assume you're driving, but you asked about connections....?

There would be a one-way rental surcharge on a car. The train Torino to Omegna is at least 2.5 hours, and Omegna to Venice would be 5 hours.

Plans at Lake Orta?

Have you been to Lake Garda? Garda would be less of a detour in your somewhat short trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi there - thanks for the reply. I am in the very early stages of planning. It's a little hard to plan these days, as my local library doesn't have up to date guidebooks, all the bookstores in my area have closed, and I can't buy all the books on Amazon (not sure which one to get! Got Rick Steve last time and he did not cover Torino or Ischia at all, the places we were going to visit..._

Our goal is to go back to Northern Italy and just poke around. We loved Torino. We went to Varenna last time and liked it a lot but were thinking to try Lake Orta this time. I will look into Garda.

Originally Posted by Jean
Quad room? Apartment? Budget? Are you flying into Torino or into Milan?

Our budget for hotels is about 200 euros per night. Don't laugh - we managed to do that in April 2023 for 10 days in Italy! I am currently looking for flights into Torino and out of Venice (but Milan is an option as well). I wouldn't mind flying into or out of Munich and taking the night train to/from Venice to Munich. We love night trains.

Venice is not a must. It is a maybe. I'm trying to find a third destination. Torino + Lake Area + ?????. We spent a day there in 2007 (arrived on the night train and left on the night train) and were thinking to stay maybe in the Burano neighborhood and explore for a few days and get to know the city a little bit.

QUOTE I assume you're driving, but you asked about connections....?

We won't be driving. At all. We will be taking the trains. I looked into the train from Torino to Lake Orta - about three hours. Then from Lake Orta to Venice will take the better part of a day.

QUOTE =:There would be a one-way rental surcharge on a car. The train Torino to Omegna is at least 2.5 hours, and Omegna to Venice would be 5 hours.

Not an issue - no driving!

QUOTE: Plans at Lake Orta?

Just relaxing. Looking around. Resting. Seeing something beautiful. Breathing the fresh air. Practicing our Italian.

QUOTE: Have you been to Lake Garda? Garda would be less of a detour in your somewhat short trip.
No, but I will look into it.

Thanks again for taking the time to engage with me in my trip planning.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 07:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend Lake Garda over Lake Orta. Part of our problem was our hotel choice. It was very hot and they refused to turn on a/c.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jun 4th, 2023 at 07:30 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 07:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend Lake Garda over Lake Orta. We left Lake Orta every day to drive down to Lake Maggiore. We were not enthralled with Lake Orta primarily as there was a lot of air pollution while we were there.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 08:29 AM

Lake Orta isn't that bad.
The train ride from Torino Porta Susa to Orta- Miasino lasts 2 hrs, with a train change at Novara.
Orta dp 8.04 - Venice is 4 hrs 30 min (via Novara).
You may also check Lake Maggiore and Lake Lugano which offer both much more oportunities (boat rides, buses and gondolas to view points, scenic city centers, shopping.....)
Turin - Lugano by train: 3hrs; Lugano - Venice: 4 hrs 10 min
Turin Stresa (Lake Maggiore) by train: 2 1/4 hrs; Stresa - Venice: 4 hrs.
Turin - Desenzano (Lake Garda) is 2 hrs by direct train; Desenzano - Venice: 1 1/2 hrs
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like Lake Garda might be a better choice than Lake Orta. I will look into it.

Anyone have an good guidebook recommendations?
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've been to Lake Garda many times and as you are arriving in the area from the main autostrada end, I think I'd stay at the lower half of the lake, especially if you're going on to Venice from there. Desenzano is a good spot to stay, choice of hotels and restaurants, train station, boat terminus.Alternatively you could consider the lower east shore at Bardolino or Garda. I do like Bardolino for its choice of accommodation and restaurants. All of the villages round the lake have boat connections, some more frequent than others.
Venice is easy to reach via train with a change at Verona, so it's a good chance to see Verona itself.