Reload this Page >

Too much walking in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:03 PM
Grandma

I am a 63yr. old woman who is fat,out of shape and has arthritis. There seems to be a lot written on this site aboutg all the walking. I am not going on a tour,but have planned the trip myself.4 are going,I'm the oldest).Any suggestions in how to avoid so much walking

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:08 PM
Norris

Why not strengthen your muscles a little before you go? The parts that don't have arthritis? Lift some gallon water bottles, do some leg lifts with your feet on some stairs. Try to get a little strength and then when you get there you won't be so winded. Just walk slowly or take cabs or busses. Get to a nice place and sit a while. I am glad you have the will to go at all.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:15 PM
ellen

Cabs, buses, boats - you can do a lot of siteseeing sitting down! And do some research, so that you can concentrate on the things that excite you - nothing is more exhausting than being dragged around a museum, or shopping, or whatever someone else has decided we MUST see. There's nothing wrong with sitting with a cappucino and a good book and just enjoying the experience of watching the world go by.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Mari

My husband and I just recently returned from a trip to Italy with my sister who has the same characteristics as you except she is a few years younger, not much though. <BR><BR>Yes, we did a lot of walking, but she did not always go with us every time we went somewhere, nor did she always walk as much or as far as we did. When we went somwhere together, we did slow our pace down so she could keep up with us and we stopped often as she needed frequent rests. <BR><BR>You will need to understand your limitations, make adjustments, and make sure the others understand what you can or cannot do. If the others are more fit, and planning to walk a distance somwhere, then you can arrange to meet them at a destination - maybe they will walk, but you can take a taxi or a bus. My sister did this several times and it worked out fine. <BR><BR>If you have some time before the trip, try get on a little walking routine (check with your doctor first) before you go. As Norris suggested, a little moderate exercise may help you prpare for the trip. I have arthritis also and, believe it or not, walking helps me more than ibuprofen! <BR><BR>Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:13 AM
Alice

I would think most cities have some kind of 'overview' tourist bus circuit, which will take you by the main attractions. Usually they allow an 'on/off' feature so you can spend a little time at a particular spot, then move on to the next by catching another bus. I know Paris, London and Nice have something (bus or tram). Amsterdam has Circle Tram 20 which goes in a loop around the center of town.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:23 AM
Alice Twain

Both Rome and Milano have such buses (in milano it is actually a tram), and I suppose also other cities will have. in Venice the Vaporetto n. 1 can be used to the same effect. Moreover, grandma should consider that Italian cities tend to be compact, almost crowded, so that most "must sees" are spread on a very small area and it is possibile to walk from one to the other in a very short time. One more thing, usually all italian cities offer some kind of one day, two day and weekly passes for public transportations and free maps describing not only the streets but also the subway, buses and tram lines, making it easier even for a foreigner to tour the cities with as little walking as possible even without a car. Only, be extra careful of your valuables on such transportation means: some of them are known as a "good" place for pickpockets.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Jim

My wife and I went to Italy for our honeymoon and we are in our late 20's and we thought there was too much walking. Lots of good tips already so I'll try to be brief:<BR>1. COMFORTABLE SHOES: both my wife and I bought new shoes DURING our trip because our feet hurt. Plan ahead and get the most comfort you can buy/wear. Don't worry about fashion, you're there to have a good time, not model.<BR>2. Churches: There's a temptation in Italy to see them all and to climb every basilica. Don't. Not sure were you're going, but St. Peter's (Vatican) has an elevator for about half the trip. The other half is a walk, but it can be done and since the stairs are wide, you can take breaks. In contrast, the Duomo in Florence is VERY NARROW and lots of people turn back because of that alone. The stairs are sloped and there are lots. I've seen many people turn back and it is very difficult because the passages are tight. If you're there, you might want to enjoy the view from the ground floor. Don't listen to the naysayers. You can get almost the same view by going to the Boboli Gardens right outside Florence without all the intense climbing (its on a big hill but there are gentle slopes).<BR>3. Sit Down: Lots of outdoor cafes. Expensive, but they won't hassle you if you buy one coffee, one water and stay one hour. Write postcards, take pictures (why not buy a zoom lens) and people watch. This is a highly under-rated, but wonderful activity.<BR>4. Avoid tours: They are crowded and more at a fast clip. If you can't keep up, you will most likely miss out and waste money. I love Ellen's advice. Be picky about what you want to see. Don't listen to anyone about what is a "must-do". If you go home having tons of fun, you're had a good vacation.<BR>5. Eat lots of food: Perhaps the best part of ANY trip to Italy is eating the wonderful food. Too many people I know were so busy sightseeing, they never did research on the food, ate anywhere, spent lots of money and were unsatisfied. If you do a little research, you can find wonderful places to eat and experience Italy the way most people around the world do, through their cuisine, all while sitting down!<BR>6. Don't carry lots of stuff. You are not a mule so don't look like one. Camera, money, plastic and a pen and paper are all you need. Remember, Italy is a first world country and you can get anything you need most likely anywhere you are in Italy.<BR>7. Comfortable Shoes: I can't stress this enough. Lots of streets are cobblestone. Very rough on the puppies.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Cobie

Grandma, please don't miss this opportunity to go on a great vacation. If you are too tired to tour another cathedral or another site - offer to sit it out in a lovely square, have a gelato and admire the lovely architecture instead or people watch at a cafe (my favs).<BR><BR>My 78 yr old mother was so excited about her trip to Europe that once she arrived the adrenaline kicked in and she walked further than I've ever seen her walk.<BR><BR>Have Fun!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:28 PM
zoe

I am very proud of my fellow Fodorites with the humane, kind and thoughful response to Grandma. Sometimes posters get nasty,etc. Thanks so much!!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:32 PM
diane

My husband, son, and I went to Rome last year with my parents. My mother is like Grandma above but doesn't have arthritis. Anyhow, we walked everywhere daily. The first day we walked from our hotel in Prati down to Via del Corso, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, went up to Via Veneto and then walked back to the hotel. Then we'd walk some more the following days if we weren't on any tours. When we arrived back home my mother complained of foot pain. And she is still suffering from it. She blames it all on the walking we did in Rome. Maybe more comfortable shoes would have helped alot but probably we overdid it.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:13 PM
aaa

Gramma-<BR>I too am overweight,suffer from arthritis ,had knee surgery and am out of shape--<BR><BR>One thing I ALWAYS carry when travelling is a folding CANE- It is immensely helpful if you are walking and can't find a place to sit- just to be able to lean on a cane is a lifesaver--<BR><BR>Also,when flying, REQUEST a Wheelchair-you can conserve energy and pain by using that wheelchair in the airport--<BR><BR>Definitely take a few good books, and when touring or walking get to be too much, kick back and relax at a cafe-just buy a cup of coffee or water, and NO ONE will bother you--It is great to people watch...<BR><BR>Before you leave the states, go to your local PODIATRIST and get shoe inserts made and put them in some GREAT COMFORTABLE walking shoes- they help great with back pain when walking a lot-- Or if you don't have time, get some good shoes by Mephisto or Ecco and break them in before you leave.....<BR><BR><BR>ALso use cabs,buses,boats etc- to get around-- AVOID SUBWAYS as the stairs to get to the subway are LONG,STEEP and too many to walk up esp.if you are out of shape--You don't want to get a heart attack.<BR><BR>You don't say what cities you are going to-but if you are going to Paris,take a boat cruise down the Seine on a Bateau Mouche- sit up top and you can see all of Paris--<BR><BR>In London, take a boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich Time Zone- it also lets you see the sights and is fun without expending a lot of energy....<BR><BR>If you have a HANDICAP STICKER, and will be driving thru Europe, BRING IT WITH YOU-- IT is a UNIVERSAL STICKER and honored all over-- I used mine driving all over England....<BR><BR>And best of all, HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:51 PM
FodorLover

These great, kind, helpful answers are what make this forum a treasure!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Jan

to aaa: I wear Birkenstocks which are the most comfortable for me. Do you know if shoe inserts will go in Birks, since they are open sandals?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:46 AM
LeeAnn

Grandma, go girl!!<BR>Search out the thread here about "are you ever going to be too old to travel" and get some more insights.<BR>In the meantime, do try to lift some light weights and some leg strengthening exercises they will pay off in the long run.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 02:18 PM
walker

try rolling if your that fat and oout of shape

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Roller

To walker:<BR><BR>Try lurning to spel if your that smart.<BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:57 PM
aaa

To Jan-- No, those podiatrist made inserts will not work in a BIRKENSTOCK-<BR><BR>You must have a closed back and closed toe shoe--but it does not have to look old lady==I have put mine into a good pair of AVIA walking shoes and you can walk miles.....<BR><BR>I live in Birkenstocks here at home-as they are soooooooooooo comforable--<BR>But to walk all day on cement pavement is a no-no to me in my Birks-- I need a better shoe with a more cushioned bottom.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:52 AM
cate

1. i second the mephisto/ecco testimony. me, personally, i am very vain and happily teeter around on high heels at home. but vanity is meaningless if your feet hurt (it may be meaningless under ANY circumstance), and love my ugly mephistos in italy.<BR>2. i walk a LOT, thanks to my mephistos, but sitting--especially eating, drinking, or watching your surroundings--is my great pleasure, morning, noon, and night. it is indeed an under-rated activity. i climbed the 412 steps of the campanile in florence this spring, then sat happily in cafes with cramped calves (but no blisters!)for the next three days, eating and drinking without regret. no one minded in the least.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:14 AM
ttt

topping

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Jan

To aaa: thank you. Jan