Reload this Page >

Edirne vs Bursa?

Search

Edirne vs Bursa?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:51 AM
ridem

Edirne vs Bursa?

Has anyone visted both of these cities, and have a preference of one over the other. We will be returning to Istanbul after a 3 month drive around Turkey in this Winter.<BR>Our intersts are mostly history, architecture, museums, etc. <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:11 AM
abc

If you don't see 2 places you haven't any information about SINAN (Ottoman Architect) and Ottoman.<BR><BR>Go Edirne to see The SINAN"s Master piece and go to Bursa and feel the OTTOMAN<BR><BR>ABC

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:29 AM
debby

Both cities are close to Istanbul maybe you can visit both of them as ABC recommends .There is a nice website www.anatolia.com/anatolia choose travel/destinations/edirne or bursa<BR>many info about both cities.Both cities have many historical places (my choice would be BURSA)

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Pira

Edirne seemed different, a bit more European. The mosques there were sublime, especially Sinan's Selimiye, and a mosque-hospice complex a bit out of town. I already forgot the name (Beyacit?), but the architect's name is Heyrettin. <BR><BR>Bursa seemed bigger & more vibrant. The mosques are ancient & historically important, but architecturally a bit inferior to those at Edirne. I mean, in terms of space, perhaps because they are older. But there was a tomb complex, and a mosque, with the most spectacular tiles inside & out. <BR><BR>This is an opinion of an architecture student. I spent a night at Edirne, half a day at Bursa, btw.