Reload this Page >

Best of Britain in 17 Days Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Barb

Has anyone taken the Rick Steves Best of Britain in 17 days tour? I've never been to Great Britian and would be on my own, so thought a tour might be the best thing for my first visit. Are there better tours? It's a little pricey, but maybe it's really worth it?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:40 AM
up

up, for Barb<BR>

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:50 AM
topping

ttttt

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Alma

Took Collette Tour to GB & Ireland for 16 days last June. Airfare isn't included, but the hotels and food were wonderful. Lots of info from our friendly tour guide who also had a great sense of humor. The whole experience was just perfect and there were no optional excursions to pay for. We had a London Play, 2 Irish and a Scottish night out plus lots of great meals, all included. I'd do it again in a second.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:30 PM
xx

Stay away from Comus tours in GB. 50% of the hotels were cruddy and run down.. Best part of trip was breakfasts.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:53 AM
david west

I'd be interested to know what the itinery is, ie what he thinks the "best of britain" is.<BR><BR>Does it include Largs?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Jen

Looked it up on Steves' web site, which has a paragraph about each day (deleted here), including how many hours will be spent on the bus. It's $2900 (i.e., $170 per day), not including getting from home to Bath or from London back home.<BR><BR>http://www.ricksteves.com/tours/britain/home.htm<BR><BR>Day 1: Arrive in Bath <BR>Day 2: Bath, Glastonbury and Wells <BR>Day 3: To the Cotswolds via Blenheim Palace <BR>Day 4: All day in the Cotswolds<BR>Day 5: To northern Wales<BR>Day 6: Explore northern Wales<BR>Day 7: To the Lake District<BR>Day 8: All day in the Lake District <BR>Day 9: To western Scotland <BR>Day 10: Free day in Oban <BR>Day 11: To Edinburgh via Glencoe <BR>Day 12: All day in Edinburgh <BR>Day 13: To York via Hadrian's Wall <BR>Day 14: All day in York <BR>Day 15: To London <BR>Day 16: All day in London <BR>Day 17: Tour over after breakfast

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 03:43 AM
spoon

Try British Heritage Tours, they've got a great reputation.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:56 AM
kate

Blimey Jen, I'm exhausted just reading it. Do you like coaches?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Gavin Ramsey

Barb,<BR><BR>I sent an email to Rick Steves' customer service department last month asking why their tours were so expensive. One of the reasons is that the average tour company has to fill each bus to capacity to make money but Rick's tours only fill each bus to around 1/2 capacity so it's more comfortable. Secondly, there are no additional tips to the driver or guide (which really add up). Lastly, and most importantly, the guides don't make mandatory stops at local stores which give a kickback to the tour company on items sold. I've been on a higher-end tour where they did this and it gets a little annoying. I haven't been on Rick's tours before but we believe that spending a little more usually makes for a better trip!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:37 AM
david west

Blimey! I have just read the itinery and had to have a little lie down immediately afterwards.<BR><BR>It is a matter of personal taste but this seems to me to be the sort of itinery that gives American tourists the "If it's tuesday it must be Belgium" reputation.<BR><BR>Looking at it a bit more carefully:<BR><BR>Day 1: Arrive in Bath <BR><BR>Depending on when you arrive this is a good place to start.<BR><BR>Day 2: Bath, Glastonbury and Wells<BR><BR>Bath is a big place with an Abbey, Roman baths and Architectural treasures. Glastonbury is quite small and once you've seen the Abbey (ruins) and the Tor you've pretty much done it.<BR><BR>I am assuming that the evening and night is spent in wells which is a very pleasant little town (its technically a city but it's tiny). So far so good. Say hello to my Mum while you're there.<BR> <BR>Day 3: To the Cotswolds via Blenheim Palace <BR><BR>THis is a long drive in a coach and you won't be spending long at Blenheim which is magnificent.<BR><BR>http://www.blenheimpalace.com/index1.htm<BR><BR>THis will give you an idea of what there is to do and see here.<BR><BR>Day 4: All day in the Cotswolds<BR><BR>Which are quite a big place and it's not very specific. I assume that this will mainly be scenic drives with stops at moreton in the marsh or stow in the wold for a bit of shopping and lunch. <BR><BR>The cotswolds is very touristy. Nice but touristy. Very popular.<BR><BR>Day 5: To northern Wales<BR><BR>No clues here then, but it's quite a trek, which I imagine will be on the coach. A pretty drive though.<BR><BR>Day 6: Explore northern Wales<BR><BR>Hmmm....where exactly? N Wales is pretty and spectacular (well I'm assuming you're not going to Rhyl)and I hope you will see the CAstles.<BR><BR>Day 7: To the Lake District<BR><BR>AAAARGGGHHHH!!!!!! Your bum will go numb!! This is another long drive. (again its a pretty route though)<BR><BR>Day 8: All day in the Lake District<BR><BR>Nice. Lovely. Good.<BR> <BR>Day 9: To western Scotland <BR><BR>I hope you like coaches.<BR><BR>Day 10: Free day in Oban<BR><BR>This is almost one of those joke prizes (1st prize a free day in Oban, 2nd prize a week in Oban etc). Here is the official site for Oban. Look at the things to do and see link. You'll soon get the idea.<BR><BR> http://www.oban.org.uk/<BR><BR>Day 11: To Edinburgh via Glencoe<BR><BR>Broom broom broom goes the bus.....<BR> <BR>Day 12: All day in Edinburgh <BR><BR>Great. You'll want longer.<BR><BR>Day 13: To York via Hadrian's Wall<BR><BR>More driving. York is lovely. Hadrians wall is as exciting as any other old wall.<BR> <BR>Day 14: All day in York<BR><BR>Good.<BR> <BR>Day 15: To London<BR> <BR>Another long drive.<BR><BR>Day 16: All day in London <BR><BR>Jolly good.<BR><BR>Day 17: Tour over after breakfast<BR><BR>Time for a holiday to get over your vacation! <BR><BR>THis appears to me to be attempting to fit a gallon into a pint pot. You will spens a lot of time on your coach and will see very little of the places you are visiting.<BR><BR>I would do the part that appeals to you most over a longer period eg, Wales, Lake District scotland in two weeks.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Suzy

David, your comments would have been more fruitful if you had bothered to look at the web site instead of just making silly and erroneous assumptoins, like the evening spent in Wells (when actually they're back in Bath) and the Cotswolds activities (you were wrong again). <BR><BR>The web site gives the bus times, so no need to comment on those, readers can see the times for themselves and judge accordingly whether they want to spend 5 or 6 hours on the bus during several of the 17 days.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:36 AM
xxx

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, all day long ....

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:46 AM
david west

Suzy,<BR><BR>I only live here, so what would I know?<BR><BR>You may also notice that everyone who is lucky enough to live here has made the same comments about the coach times. <BR><BR>Stupid loud mouthed yankee ingrate should just about cover it...

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:47 AM
g

Barb,<BR><BR>I would love to hear about the tour if you do take it - please post an update if you do.<BR>I think for your first time there, this sounds like a pretty good itinerary. I have looked at his website describing the tours. I know Rick and his guides want to show you the main sites while showing you some lesser-visited areas. Tours like these are great if you are on a limited time frame. You get to see the "main" things and also get ideas for specific areas you would want to come back and visit when you have more time to devote to just one or two cities. <BR>Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Barb

Thanks for all the responses. Haven't made up my mind yet, but I think I would rather leave the driving to them, than try to cover all that area myself. Also half a bus load of people definitely appeals to me. They seem to also gear their tours to active people who like to walk and not necessary shop - that is definitely a plus. So, if I go, I'll let you know. Anyone taken a RS tour?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I'm afraid this tour is based on an assumed US attention span of 15 minutes.<BR><BR>Many people spend 2 weeks touring parts of the Lake District, for instance.<BR><BR>Better to see all you wish to see in one place than regretting the things you missed in every stop ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:40 PM
janis

I totally agree w/ David and the others with negative comments - only my first inclination wasn't nearly so polite! This is a TERRIBLE itinerary. Every place on it is great and worthwhile but you will VERY rushed and a whole day in Oban - please God, Why? And VERY carefully examine the information. "See" means literally that - see it from the bus as you drive by. "Visit" means you actually get off the bus and may or my not have time to explore the site.<BR><BR>If you want to go on a tour take a small group one that covers something like Highlands and Islands in 14 days, or Wales and the Heart of England, or London and the Cotswolds, or anything but this blur.<BR><BR>There are several really good tour companies that limit the groups to 12 or 15 and stay in wounderful small towns.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:35 PM
topper

ttt