Too much in a day?

Apr 29th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Too much in a day?

We land in Naples at 7 AM and want to take a boat tour of Capri to see the Grottos and also explore Pompeii. Will we be able to do all this and not miss out ship?
Apr 29th, 2014, 10:05 PM

do one or the other . . . but then you didn't say what time you have to be back on the ship . . .
Apr 29th, 2014, 10:35 PM

<< Will we be able to do all this and not miss out ship? >>

What does that mean? Are you on a cruise or are you worried about missing out on something?

Capri and Pompeii in one day is way too much.

To me, landing intimates that you're coming into Naples by plane. You need to get your baggage, store it some place, and then get to Capri (30 to 45 minutes approximately), see Capri (by grottos do you mean the Blue Grotto?). That will take some time. Then back to Naples, to the train station and take the train to Pompeii (30 minutes). Tour Pompeii (2 to 5 hours) and then back to Naples or wherever you're going.

Choose one.
Apr 30th, 2014, 12:05 AM

>><< Will we be able to do all this and not miss out ship? >><<

I think that was a typo and the OP meant 'and not miss our ship?'
Apr 30th, 2014, 01:14 AM

Too much in a day? Yes. The ship will not wait. Choose one.
Apr 30th, 2014, 04:04 AM

Even if the ship arrives at 7 am what time will you actually disembark? And what time do you actually have to be back on board?

It sounds like way too much for one day - since you need IMHO at least 4 hours for Pompeii - and more if you are interested. Don;t see how you would then have time to get to a ferry dock, ferry to Capri, take launch to Grotto, transfer to rowboat, wait for your turn to enter and then reverse the process back to Marina Grande's main dock to catch a ferry back to Naples. Do check the schedules, the ferries don't run that often.
Apr 30th, 2014, 04:27 AM

A few years back we did something similar while on cruise, spent about four hours in Pompeii in the morning, then lunch in Sorrento and Capri in the afternoon (not the Grotto). We were one of the first to disembark at 7 and it was a long day, almost 12 hours, but we enjoyed every moment
Apr 30th, 2014, 05:27 AM

Thanks, janis. I guess both the typo and the word "land" threw me as I think of ships docking rather than landing.

Either way, plane or boat, it's too much unless you have a backup plan on how to get to your boat if you miss it in Naples. Isn't this a vacation? Why put yourself under so much pressure to get the sightseeing done in a short time and back to the boat on time.
Apr 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM

Load down all timetables you need and go first to Capri. At the end of the visit of this Island, it will be easy to decide whether there will be enough time for a boat ride to Sorrento, a train ride do Pompei - Naples with a visit of Pompei.
Pompei closes at 19.30. If your ship leaves after 22.00, you may have a chance to do all.
But frankly, I don't think that you will succeed.
Apr 30th, 2014, 03:47 PM

Ah, the wonders of cruise travel. When will people learn.

I'm reminded of a radio station constest. First prize was a one week cruise. Second prize was a two week cruise.
Apr 30th, 2014, 03:54 PM

The only safe way to not miss the cruise is to take an overpriced land excursion offered by the cruise. They won't leave without the land excursion passengers. Attempting to see both Capri and Pompeii in one day is insanity, cruise or no cruise.
Apr 30th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Don't we need to know what time they need to be back on the cruiseship, to answer the question?
Apr 30th, 2014, 10:04 PM

About 10 years ago we took a Princess Cruise tour out of Naples that did Capri in the morning (the cruise ship docked near the boats to Capri),boat to Sorrento, lunch in Sorrento, afternoon in Pompei, and a 1+ hrs stop at a cameo store (one passenger haggling for some cameos-drove everyone else nuts). We got back to the ship at 7PM.So it can be done.