Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to get from Naples to Capri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Naples and Pompeii for a day trip from Rome. We are thinking of covering Pompeii in the morning and then maybe going to Capri in the afternoon/evening. But I have no idea how far Capri is from Naples. I havent had time to do the research. Is it do-able and can we take a train/ferry from Naples to Capri? What is the schedule and how late do either run? Is Capri far from Naples?

Please forgive my ignorance. This Capri idea just came up from one of the people going with us, so I have to check it out. Any help would be good. I know we wont be able to see everything but we just wanna hit the highlights. Ya know - say we've been there, have a cappucinno and go back.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, if it's a day trip from Rome, I think you have to decide between the two and not try to do both. I leave it to someone else to tell you whether it's even possible...

Pompeii is 30 minutes by train from Naples. And 30 minutes back. (How interested are you in Pompeii? You could spend anywhere from three to six hours there...)

Back in Naples you'd take a cab to the ferry dock. I'm guessing the ferry from Naples to Capri would take 60-90 minutes.

If your goal is just to have coffee on Capri, don't bother going. The best parts of the island are away from the towns.

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:10 AM

It's going to take you at least two and a half hours to reach Pompeii from Rome, via Eurostar to Naples and Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. The excavations at Pompeii cover a lot of ground and take several hours to see. Even if you just see the highlights, it's about a two hour visit. Naples to Capri takes about 50 minutes by hydrofoil. So if you leave Pompeii at noon, take the train back to Naples and then a cab to the hydrofoil terminal and have a boat ready there waiting to take you to Capri, you won't get there until almost 2 pm. During high season (summer) the last boat back to Naples leaves around 8 pm, arriving in Naples at 9. Between October and April, boats run much less frequently. They can be cancelled at any time due to rough seas but that is more of a risk during the off season. If you really want to see both Pompeii and Capri and just say you've been there, done that, sure, it's possible but I think you'd be missing out on so much of what those places have to offer, especially Capri, by doing it this way.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:35 PM

Hi Klbrito
I have not been on this part of Italy but have been planning a trip to Naples and Amalfi coast with a stay in Capri. I have contacted a couple of limo services about going from Naples to Pompeii to Sorrento for a hydrofoil to Capri. It is a long half day depending on what time you leave and how much time you spend in Pompeii. That would leave you very little time on Capri. Since you are coming from Rome I don't think you can do this. However, you might contact a car service and ask them about this and see how much they would charge you for a trip like this. If others are with you, you can split the fee. You can take a ferry or hydrofoil to Capri from Naples and it does not take too long. However, Pompeii is out of Naples. You also might want to go to the Archeological Museum in Naples to see what came from Pompeii either on the way to or from and skip Capri. One more thing, I know someone who did a day trip from Rome to Pompeii and then drove down the Amalfi coast as far as Ravello. This was do-able in one day, but they had a private driver.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:56 PM

I have often commented that people who didn't like Capri usually only did a day trip there and missed most of the island's beauty. As a result I often tell people if they can't spend at least a night there, don't go. I'd really suggest if you only plan to spend a couple hours there, by all means DON'T. Save it for when you can enjoy it.