Toledo to the Windmills in Consuegra?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best way to get to the windmills from Toledo? I've searched online for tours and rental cars but am coming up empty. Any thoughts? We'll be going to Toledo from Cordoba and find there's no bus/train direct to Toledo so have to go to Madrid, then back to Toledo. Have found one tour to the windmills out of Madrid but don't want to do that if we don't have to. Surprised there are no buses to Consuegra! We're currently in Granada and will be headed that way next week so hope to hear from someone soon.
Cheers,
KbSojourner
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Rent a car in Cordoba and drive up as Consuegra is quite a bit to the south of toledo.

That way you can see a lot of other places along the way. Return the car in toledo or madrid or somewhere else depending on your plans.
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:52 AM

If you have TIME, from Córdoba by car you could detour a tiny bit to Ubeda or Baeza for the night .

Next day go to Consuegra for photo op and continue on to Toledo to overnight.

Lovely trip.

If you have even more time, detour to Tembleque at some point to see the quaint original plaza.
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:18 AM

It is easy to drive from Cordoba to Consuegra, where the mills are, on top of the ridge. Right on the way to Toledo. Driving from Toledo to Madrid is easy as well, burt you must be wary of the many traffic signs and detours.
You can also drive back from Consuegra to the Madrid motorway A4.
One more thing, post this in Spain, as it is in Europe generally.
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM

You can travel between Toledo and Consuegra by bus. Check with Groupo Samar for the schedule (www.samar.es/). They also have service from Madrid-Estacion Sur to Consuegra.
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your replies. Have checked rental cars from Cordoba to Toledo and have found none available online so don't know if that's a one-way issue or not. So will check when we arrive in Cordoba. If that fails will check on the bus out of Toledo--thanks for the Samar tip.
Cheers,
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:32 AM

there are definiteñy one way rentals between cordoba and madrid. not sure about toledo. it should cost about 125-160E for a 2 day rental. Look for online coupons and use the big companies.. hertz, avis, europcar. might be easier just to use their free tel. numbers.

Since you are in granada already, why not stop by their office and talk to them if you can't figure it out online?
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Good morning everybody,

I am leaving for Toledo & Madrid this weekend. I am spending three nights in Toledo and I am interested in visiting the Consuegra windmills. I cannot drive and I thought of using public transportation. I have just checked the link to www.samar.es posted by Robert and it seems definitely feasible.

However, I know it's going to be scorching hot so do you advice me to go early in the morning of late in the afternoon? How long does it take to visit the windmill area?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 01:17 PM

The windmills themselves, photos , a walk along the crest.. maybe 20-30 minutes max? If you go inside the windmill museum, it is very small.. maybe add a few minutes.

I can't remember if we went into the town square also.this is a stop for us on our way elsewhere.

Enjoy.

Does the bus take you UP to the castle hill or leave you in town?

It is quite a hike.. maybe see if there is a taxi, but I don't even know if a town that small would have one. I hope the bus goes up there.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:56 AM

I'd do it in the early morning.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:29 AM

Thanks Josele & Lincasanova! I have no idea whether there's a bus that takes you up the hill. I'll have to walk up.

Orlando.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:31 AM

whew!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:32 AM

I would be sooo tempted to stick out my thumb on way up.