Italy Itinerary, need some help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, So we are two 21-22 year old's planning this trip to Europe mid July. This is our first time to Europe. We will be spending 8 days total in Italy. We would like to see Florence, Venice, Sienna and Rome. I have family in Pescara that I could stay with but Pescara is somewhat far from the cities I mentioned. I need help figuring out which places to stay at and for how long. Which places could just be day trips. Thanksss!

So what are we interested in:
Culture filled towns/cities
Historical sites ( museums, architecture, world war 2 sites, castles, old churches romantic sites, unusual sites, etc) Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:42 PM

All the destinations you have picked are filled with culture, romance, old churches and some outstanding castles, as well as unusual sites, much more than you will be able to absorb in your short 8-day stay. It is near Rome and Florence that you will find the most interesting WW2 sites (Anzio near Rome, the American cemetary near Florence).

Were it me, at any age, I would not pass up a chance to visit an Italian family, especially one that leaves near the sea if I were going in July like your family does.

I heartily suggest that you make a triangle of Rome-Pescara-Venice, going either by car or train to and from Pescara. You will have the amazing fun of coming to know Italy as few tourists ever do. Otherwise, if you stick to your rushed itinerary of famous tourist spots, you will miss the real flavor of Italy (which is fantastically tasty!) Those other
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM

... sorry, but my last sentence got cut off.

Those other places will always be there, but your Italian family perhaps not, so take a flyer on something both personal and unusual for a few days of your European tour. Your family can tell you how WW2 affected Pescara and them personally, which would probably have greater impact than visiting a cemetery where no one can speak anymore.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am just having a hard time splitting up my time. How many days in Venice, Rome and Pescara. And are Sienna and Florence good day trips?
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:00 PM

You can take day trips to Florence and Siena by train from Rome. Try to stay with your family in Pescara and don't try to day trip from there.

If you have 8 days I'd spend 5 in Rome (2 day trips) and 3 in Pescara (I don't think you have time for Venice as well but if you had extra time then spend 2 nights there).
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Oops, forgot to add that if I had 2 extra days I'd add them to Rome (not Venice) as there's so much to see!
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is more to this trip than is mentioned here. Please follow the OP's other thread.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...p-414868-2.cfm
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 03:56 AM

nessagirlhawaii

How many days you spend anywhere should be determined by what interests you. Many people spend two days in Rome just touring ancient ruins, but if those don't much interest you, you can go somplace else. Likewise, some people want 2 days to visit the Vatican and other churches. If you'd rather be doing something else....

Some people go to Venice to "wander and get lost" -- which can easily be done in a day, like many cruise shippers do. Others want to visit the Doge's Palace or buy glass on the island of Murano and many, many more things. Up to you.

I wouldn't attempt to do Siena as a day trip from Rome. Too much time spent in transit to and from.

Jean,

I looked at the other thread once I found out and discovered the usual Fodor's condescending tone toward young people, scolding about not going at an arthritic pace or planning 2 years in advance, and no appreciation of her chance to learn from people in war-ravaged Pescara about WW2 and be someplace non-touristy. I'm sure the original poster can follow two threads at once and sort out all the information even if others can't.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:09 AM

eurocheapo.com great city guide budget tips

Did your journey more or less in May...

Assuming you are more budget

regional trains are cheap nice best way to go

for me 3 euro per hour or so booked at station.

seat61.com

in 8 days might pare back a bit but

Rome Sienna www.lucca.info venice-tourism.com Florence Rome

virtualtourist.com another good site also backpackeurope.com

bootsnall.com LP(bought by BBC has gone way downhill)

good resources if you are backpacking.

Happy Travels,

would be doable if a bit rushed...
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 09:41 AM

I see nothing condenscending about expecting any poster, young or old, to do some basic research before starting several threads asking the same questions (just substitute the city or country in this case). I would say the same to my own children, oh wait, I have.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also didn't see condescension or scolding in the other thread, just many very experienced travelers providing information and advice. Maybe it sounds like nagging when the same points of geography and logistics are repeated but apparently not understood by the OP.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your posts, I have been looking through several travel books, online sites, family and friends. I thought I could come hear to get some last minute ideas, advice and recommendations. Also I started several threads so people looking to answer things on on specific city/country might be able to help a little more than in a general thread.Maybe I had the wrong idea! Sorry...
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM

You don't have the wrong idea, not at all. But your posts, with their very generic questions of what to do, where to go, read as if you have not done the research you say you have. So congrats on the reading, good luck with your travel plans - enjoy your vacation.