Toledo to Madrid Aiport - feasible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying in and out of Madrid in May. Thinking of spending the first two nights in Madrid and then heading to Sevilla and Andalucia. Thinking about ending trip in Toledo rather than going back to Madrid. We have an 11 am flight. Is it feasible to get to the airport by 9am without too much wear and tear? Would need to drop the car off when we get to the airport.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM

As long as you leave Toledo really early in the morning (6am would be the latest) and are driving, you should not have a problem. Especially if the car return is at the airport.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

The hotel said the aiport is 80 minutes away - leaving at 6am sounds early, is that to account for traffic?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:39 AM

We did exactly this and had no problem. And, we certainly didn't leave at 6 am. What day of the week are you travelling? Perhaps we had it easier because we were on a Sat.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM

If you are flying internationally, you are supposed to be at the airport at least two hours ahead of time. Since Iberia has moved all of its flight to the new terminal, T4, the old terminal (T1, 2 & 3) may not be as crowded as in the past, but I wouldn't count on it until they work out all of the bugs with the new terminal.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

It is a Tuesday morning that we are flying to Boston. Does this help figuring out how long we'll need to get to the airport? Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:58 AM

How much in advance does your airline recommend you be at the airport for check-in...2 or 3 hours.

Have you driven this route before? Do you know your way around the airport, i.e., exactly where the rental car drop off is, etc. If so, then ess of a problem but if not, and given all the things which could go "wrong" on any driving trip I do not, with the very greatest of respect for you, agree that leaving at 6:00 AM "sounds early" and, in fact, to be safe, I'd say it sounds just about right.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM

For flights, I totally live by the law that nothing (OK, very little) is worth missing the flight. I would leave at 6 just to be sure that I was in on time. If you are completely on schedule, then you will arrive at 7:20, which is early. But the airport has cafés and that will give you time to regroup. Or, if you see you are getting in really early, take advantage and drive into Madrid (though there might be morning traffic, and a lot of it) and pace around past the Prado and Retiro.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Based on the fact that you have a morning flight, instead of an early afternoon one, I would definitely leave as early as possible for several reasons, some already noted. You'll be arriving in Madrid from the south and could face a number of obstacles; depending on how much construction is going on and which route you choose to follow to the airport. Signage is barely useful and can be confusing. You will have to keep an eye out for the airport signage (a little airplane) as you navigate the highway and usually heavy traffic. Madrid can be a very busy city.

If you are flying on an Iberian code share, you will be leaving from the new terminal, T4/T4s. If not, then you will be departing from T1. You will have to check where you will be returning the rental car.

To access the new terminal area by road the M-12 (North-South) motorway and the link between the M-14 and the M-13 (East-West) have been built.
These new access roads connect directly to the departures and arrivals curbsides of the new terminal. There are 7 lanes, 3 for arrivals and 4 for departures.
From the M-40:
Exit 9A access by way of the A-2 Airport (T1, T2, T3, T4)
From the A-2:
Exit 12 -> M14 (T1, T2, T3) -> M13 (T4)
M-40 South:
Exit 8 -> Toll M-12 through the tunnel (T4)
From the M-11:
End M-11 -> M-13 (T1, T2 and T3) -> M13 (T4)
M-11 Exit 7 -> Toll M-12 (T4)
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM

if i had to even think of battling the M-4 or M-30 with all the rush hour traffic and trucks and possible pileups.. i would get too nervous leaving anytime later than 6 a.m.

sometimes roads are closed for HOURS when there is an accident.
and i mean HOURS.

even if you sleep near airport.. you need to leave hotel at 8 -8 .30 the latest, and that is without returning a car, etc.

i would return the car the night before, take airport shuttle to airport hotel and enjoy the simplicity of it all.

heaven forbid you get a flat tire on way from toledo.

like claire says.. depends on how important it is if you miss your flight.

the furthest i would sleep, in charming town outside of madrid not far from airport, is alcalá de henares

http://www.world66.com/europe/spain/...lcaladehenares
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM

There is an excellent hotel close to the airport where you can stay, sleep in late(er) and be at the airport in plenty of time using their own airport shuttle. The hotel is the new Acis y Galatea, C/Galatea 6, Madrid (http://www.acisygalatea.com/), three-minutes from the airport. I stayed there in early Jan. and it is very comfortable and efficient. It's also a member of the Rusticae Group (http://rusticae.es/)
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:53 AM

I agree with the last good advice. Sleep near Barajas. Good luck.